By Jeff Nuich
CSN Chicago Senior Director of Communications
October 28, 2009
Want to know more about your favorite Chicago media celebrities? CSNChicago.com has your fix as we put the citys most popular personalities on the spot with a new weekly feature entitled 5 Questions with...
Every Wednesday exclusively on CSNChicago.com, its our turn to grill the local media and other local VIPs with five random sports and non-sports related questions that will definitely be of interest to old and new fans alike.
This weekone of the funniest men, not only on Chicago radio, but in Chicago periodhis comedic stylings can be heard Monday-Friday from 5:00-9:00 AM on WGCI 107.5 FM as he hosts the incredibly popular morning show, The Morning Riot, with Nina Chantele & Leon Rogershere are 5 Questions withTONY SCULFIELD!
BIO: Tony Sculfield is an explosive comedic performer unlike any other, whose ability to engage an audience is nationally known. His stand-up comedy performances are heralded by critics and his peers consider him one of the most talented comedians in the country. Tony has toured and performed with numerous comedians in the entertainment industry over the years, including MoNique, Mike Epps, Jamie Foxx, D.L. Hughley, Steve Harvey and Cedric the Entertainer to name a few. He has also appeared on HBOs Def Comedy Jam, BETs Comic View, Comedy Central and Showtime.
Known as the One Man Riot, Tony is the centerpiece of WGCI 107.5 FMs wildly-popular morning show, The Morning Riot, (weekdays, 5:00-9:00 AM), featuring co-hosts Nina Chantele and Leon Rogers, heard by an average of over 900,000 Chicago listeners each day.
A Chicago native, Tony has mastered the art of being able to find humor in anything from Jay-Z to Jay Walking. Regardless of the event, Tony's comedic style makes light of some of life most hilarious moments. Tony's saying is "If you can laugh at it, you can live through it.
1) CSNChicago.com: Tony, we all listen to you on WGCIs The Morning Riot, not to mention watching your hilarious stand-up appearances over the years on TV. What is more enjoyable for you personally, entertaining your audience on the radio or on the stage?
Sculfield: A few years ago I might have said I enjoyed standup more, but in the last couple of years, I've come to realize the power of doing a radio show in the 3rd largest radio market in the country. I have a voice in the community that the people appreciate, but I still try to use humor to get my messages across.
2) CSNChicago.com: What comedians inspired you over the years as you developed your stand up act and, a quick follow-up question, name some up-and-coming young comedians out there should people start paying attention to?
Sculfield: My favorite comic of all time is George Carlin, but as I came up doing comedy, guys like Michael Colyar, Cedric the Entertainer, Deon Cole and Kenny Howell, who were my peers in the game, inspired me more than the greats because we were in the trenches together starting up. Up-and-comers like Hannibal Buress, Marlon Mitchell and Muhammad are definitely some of my faves.
3) CSNChicago.com: With the NBA season beginning this week, what are your predictions on what teams around the league will be contenders come playoff time and, from a local standpoint, what are your thoughts on this years Chicago Bulls team, especially the way the team finished last season in that epic seven-game playoff series against the Celtics?
Sculfield: I think the Lakers are no doubt the team to beat out west. In the east, you've got to say Boston with K.G. coming back. Also, I do like Denver, San Antonio and Cleveland of course with Big Shaq. As for the Bulls, they are a great young team. I was at the home playoff games last year. Just incredible!! Playoffs again for sure.
4) CSNChicago.com: WGCI has been on the cutting edge of hip-hop and R&B music for years now and many of those hits are heard on your morning show every day. Name some artistssongs on your iPod that your listeners would be shocked to know about and would make them say Tony listens to THAT?! CSNChicago.com readers want to know, please tell us!
Sculfield: Well, people might trip on the fact that I love rock! I basically listen to all types of music. You'll find some Blind Melon, some Nirvana, and some Smashing Pumpkins. I've even got Julia Fordham in the iPod.
5) CSNChicago.com: The Morning Riot with Nina and Leon is no doubt a huge success with radio audiences throughout the city, not to mention the millions of listeners who tune into the show on WGCI.com. Explain the chemistry with the three of you on why your show has become such a big hit with listeners?
Sculfield: Well, the chemistry is this. I'm the Anchor, Nina's the Informative one, and Leon is the Loose Cannon. It all works because we all get a chance to shine. We have a ball in the studio, and laugh like fools for four hours every morning. The listeners know we try to give them what they need, from the listening ear to that outrageous material!
BONUS QUESTIONCSNChicago.com: Anything you want to plug that you can share with us Tony? We want to hear about it
Sculfield: Starting up again on January 28, 2010 (along with the fourth Thursday of every month going forward), please make sure to check out Tony Sculfields Variety Show, featuring the very best acts in Chicago. The action takes place at the Jokes and Notes Comedy Club, located at 4641 S. King Drive in Chicago. Showtime is at 8:30 PMbe there!!
WGCI 107.5 FMThe Morning Riot
Tony Sculfield on Facebook
Tony Sculfield on Twitter