Some of the sports stories The Associated Press is covering Wednesday. A full Sports Digest will be sent about 3 p.m. EST:
- The Penn State child sex abuse scandal was selected as the sports story of the year by U.S. editors and news directors in an annual vote conducted by The Associated Press.
- The Associated Press announces its College Football Coach of the Year.
- ATLANTA - The Oklahoma City Thunder take an 11-game winning streak into their matchup against the Atlanta Hawks. Game starts 7:30 p.m.
- NEW YORK - After splitting two games in Brooklyn that went down to the wire, the Knicks and Nets play for the first time this season at Madison Square Garden, with New York hoping Carmelo Anthony returns from a sprained ankle. Starts 7 p.m.
- CINCINNATI - Xavier and No. 11 Cincinnati renew a rivalry that turned ugly last year - an on-court brawl and suspensions - when they play at a downtown arena instead of a campus site. Starts 7 p.m.
- Pro Football Writer Barry Wilner Picks the Pros for this weekend's NFL games.
- SAN DIEGO - The last time BYU and San Diego State met, the Cougars benefited from a controversial fumble to beat the Aztecs in Provo. The Aztecs have a chance at revenge when they face their former conference rivals in the Poinsettia Bowl on Thursday night.