Cubs claim RHP Gutierrez off waivers

923273.png

Cubs claim RHP Gutierrez off waivers

The Cubs continued their trend of buying low on former promising players, claiming right-handed pitcher Carlos Gutierrez off waivers from the Minnesota Twins.

Gutierrez was the Twins' first-round draft pick in 2008 out of the University of Miami, but has yet to reach the majors.

The 26-year-old appeared in just 10 games in 2012 for Rochester, Minnesota's Triple-A affiliate, as he was shut down with a right shoulder injury in mid-June that eventually required surgery. He resumed throwing in early October.

Gutierrez, whose draft spot was acquired when the Twins lost Torii Hunter to free agency, has made 136 career minor-league appearances, including 32 starts. He carries a 4.11 ERA and 1.41 WHIP. He has spent parts of the last three seasons in Triple-A, compiling a 2-3 record with a 4.62 ERA, 1.46 WHIP and 8.2 K9 over 62.1 innings in 2011, his last full season.

The Miami native will be another option as a bullpen arm for Dale Sveum's big-league squad and could have an impact if he can ever cash in on his first-round potential.

Gutierrez played for Puerto Rico in the 2009 World Baseball Classic as a teammate of former Cub Geovany Soto.

Catcher Anthony Recker was designated for assignment to accommodate Gutierrez's signing. Recker appeared in nine games with the Cubs last season, hitting one home run and driving in four in 18 at-bats.

Could the Bulls go after Chris Bosh for next season?

Could the Bulls go after Chris Bosh for next season?

The basketball world woke up Friday morning to a report from ESPN senior writer Marc Stein saying the Bulls may go after Chris Bosh for the 2017-18 NBA season.

It's surprising and intriguing for multiple reasons: 

1) Bosh was believed to have played his last days in the NBA due to blod clot issues.

2) The Bulls are at something of a franchise crossroads, sitting as the No. 8 seed in the Eastern Conference following Thursday's games and still determining what the right step is for the near future and the long term. 

3) Bosh will be 33 in March and hasn't played in an NBA game in nearly a year (last appeared with the Heat Feb. 9, 2016).

But Stein said the Heat are not planning on waiving Bosh before March 1, so he wouldn't be eligible to join the roster of a playoff contender.

Stein then says: If Bosh does return to the hardwood, "word is that the Chicago Bulls are already plotting a run and will be at the front of the line to try to sign him."

Bosh is an 11-time All-Star who has averaged 19.2 points and 8.5 rebounds per game throughout his career. He helped the Heat win several titles as part of the Big Three with Dwyane Wade and LeBron James.

Bosh was also just in Chicago visiting Wade earlier this month:

Could he form another Big Three with Wade and Jimmy Butler, this time in Chicago?

It's worth noting Wade just turned 35 earlier this week and will be in his 14th NBA season next year.

Fast Break Morning Update: Jimmy Butler named NBA All-Star starter

Fast Break Morning Update: Jimmy Butler named NBA All-Star starter

Five Things to Watch: Blackhawks battle Bruins tonight on CSN

CSN Chicago will live stream Cubs, White Sox games in 2017

Jimmy Butler acknowledges 'huge accomplishment' but stays nonchalant about All-Star starter nod

Blackhawks mailbag: Trade rumors abound

Joe Maddon’s messaging to Cubs before the 2017 campaign

Bulls' Jimmy Butler voted All-Star Game starter

A safety at No. 3? Historically it's a reach, but maybe not for Bears in 2017

As the NBA evolves, Bulls' Taj Gibson, Robin Lopez experiment with 3-pointers

Kiper: Deshaun Watson would be a stretch at No. 3 for Bears

High School Lites Week 8 basketball capsules