Dodgers star signs a massive new contract

791726.jpg

Dodgers star signs a massive new contract

From Comcast SportsNet
LOS ANGELES (AP) -- The Los Angeles Dodgers signed outfielder Andre Ethier to an 85 million, five-year deal through 2017 on Tuesday, keeping him and Matt Kemp together in the middle of the lineup. It's the team's first major move under a new ownership group that includes former Los Angeles Lakers star Magic Johnson. The new deal includes salaries of 13.5 million for next year, 15.5 million for 2014, 18 million each for 2015 and 2016 and 17.5 million for 2017. The Dodgers have a 17.5 million option for 2018 with a 2.5 million buyout, and Ethier's 2018 salary could become guaranteed based on plate appearances in 2017 or 2016-17 combined. The option vests with 1,100 plate appearances in 2016-17 combined or 550 plate appearances in 2017. If the option does not vest and is declined, a buyout is payable on Jan. 15, 2018. Ethier avoided arbitration last winter, agreeing to a 10.95 million contract for this season. He could have tested free agency at season's end. "I knew there were options at the end of the day, but why look at them when the best option is here?" he said. "A friend of mine said a couple weeks ago, You were meant to play here and you wouldn't play good anywhere else,'" he said. "That kind of rang true and let me think what's the purpose of holding out a few more months?" General manager Ned Colletti and new President and CEO Stan Kasten joined Ethier at a news conference overlooking the field at Dodger Stadium. Manager Don Mattingly, along with All-Star slugger Matt Kemp and pitcher Javy Guerra were there. Ethier's wife, Maggie, the couple's two young sons, who wore their dad's No. 16 jersey, and his parents also attended. "We signed Matt last winter and now we've signed Andre long-term, which to me says basically that you want to get better as an organization looking forward," Mattingly said. "These two guys are our cornerstones, so it makes a commitment to the fans. Right now, Dre's in a good spot and his teammates care about him." Ethier leads the National League with 53 RBIs. The 30-year-old right fielder is a two-time All-Star who is batting .287 with 10 home runs going into Tuesday night's game against the Angels. He's been with the team for six seasons, winning a Silver Slugger award in 2009 and a Gold Glove award last year. "He's part of the core, part of what we're trying to build on," Colletti said. "You got to keep guys like that around. If you believe in your core guys and you develop them, it's tough to replace guys like that." Colletti, who rarely does deals during the season, said he told all of the team's prospective owners that signing Ethier to a long-term deal was a priority if they were to take control of the team. "These owners aren't messing around with making this team and stadium the best it can be," Ethier said. He said Kasten talked to him two weeks ago about the ownership group's plans for the team. "Obviously, that set my mind at ease," Ethier said. "I knew things were going to get better around here no matter what." Last season, Ethier had a 30-game hitting streak and batted .292 with 11 home runs and 62 RBIs before having left knee surgery in September. Colletti said he doesn't expect the deal to affect Ethier's future performance. "He's proven himself over the long haul," he said. "It gives him a sense of knowing how we feel." Colletti flew to Ethier's offseason home in Arizona to meet with him in December, when both sides let each other know he wanted to remain in Los Angeles. The deal couldn't get going until last month because of the ownership transition, but it took just a couple weeks to get one. "In season you can't let it drag or it's a perilous time of year to be doing it," Colletti said. In November, the Dodgers signed Kemp to a 160 million, eight-year deal that equaled the seventh-highest contract in baseball history. That was the team's last major deal under former owner Frank McCourt. It is the richest agreement in club history, topping pitcher Kevin Brown's 105 million, seven-year deal before the 1999 season. Kemp is currently on the disabled list for the second time this season, although the Dodgers have maintained the best record in baseball. Ethier and Kemp anchor the Dodgers' defense, with Ethier in center and Kemp in right. "They've got a quiet competitiveness and great respect for one another," Colletti said. Ethier added, "I can look up and know where Matty's at most of the time. You don't see that often in baseball where two guys can do it defensively as well as being at the same level offensively." Ethier and Kemp's relationship dates back to when they played on the same Arizona Fall League team, although Ethier belonged to the Oakland Athletics and Kemp was with the Dodgers. "It's unbelievable to know I'm going to get the chance to play by his side for the next five years," Ethier said. "Me and Matty know we have to go out there and do our thing. When you start adding other key guys it definitely does allow everyone around you to play better baseball." Ethier said he knew from the start of spring training that good things were in store for the team after the last few years of turbulence under McCourt. "You could definitely tell by the way this group came together this spring," he said. "By far this is the best clubhouse and best group of guys in the seven years I've been here. I want to give them a lot of credit for the start we've had and the start I've had." Ethier also gets use of a luxury suite at the stadium eight times per season for community and charity work in the Los Angeles area.

Could ex-Northwestern QB Trevor Siemian replace Peyton Manning?

manning-siemian-0531.png

Could ex-Northwestern QB Trevor Siemian replace Peyton Manning?

The starting quarterback for the reigning Super Bowl champs?

It might be a Northwestern alum.

Trevor Siemian, who was drafted by the Denver Broncos in the seventh round of last year's NFL Draft, is very much in the mix to succeed Peyton Manning as the Broncos' starting quarterback, according to the Denver Post's Troy Renck.

The Broncos' quarterback situation has been a hot topic during this NFL offseason. Manning rode into the sunset, retiring after winning his second Super Bowl in February, and backup Brock Osweiler signed a free-agent deal with the Houston Texans.

And while Denver brought in former USC star Mark Sanchez as a free agent and used a first-round draft pick on Memphis' Paxton Lynch, head coach Gary Kubiak is telling reporters he "wouldn't sleep on" Siemian to beat out both for the starting job.

"I think Trevor has a maturity to him. He’s kind of the sleeper, I would say. Trevor knows the offense. He’s very comfortable and can throw the ball too," Kubiak said, quoted in Renck's story. "We’ve also seen him make big plays in the preseason games under the lights. I wouldn’t sleep on Trevor to win the job, either."

Siemian didn't throw a pass during his rookie season, but if he were to beat out Sanchez and Lynch for the Broncos' starting gig, he'd be the first Northwestern product to start an NFL game at quarterback in the 21st century. Two others — Brett Basanez and Mike Kafka — threw a combined 27 passes in five NFL games during the 2006 and 2011 seasons.

Tom Izzo lauds 'bona fide 4-man' Ben Carter as Spartans announce addition

ben-carter-0531.png

Tom Izzo lauds 'bona fide 4-man' Ben Carter as Spartans announce addition

Early this month, UNLV transfer Ben Carter announced he'd be playing his final season of NCAA eligibility at Michigan State.

Tuesday, the Spartans officially announced Carter's addition, and head coach Tom Izzo — who was in need of some front-court help — welcomed a player he called a "bona fide 4-man."

"What struck me about Ben from the very first time I talked to him was that the most important thing to him was winning and being a part of a championship team," Izzo said in the team's announcement. "(Former UNLV interim) coach (Todd) Simon felt Ben was one of the keys to their team last season before he was injured in January. He's going to give us a bona fide 4-man, but once again, it's his passion for winning that most impressed me. After meeting with him and his family on their visit, I'm excited to say that we are adding a good player and a great kid."

Carter should give Izzo and the Spartans a good deal of assistance. Before that aforementioned season-ending ACL tear in January, Carter was averaging 8.6 points and 6.0 rebounds a game in 24 minutes a game for the Runnin' Rebels.

A total of five forwards — including two members of Michigan State's starting five — from last season's team departed this offseason. Matt Costello and Colby Wollenman graduated, Deyonta Davis is off to the NBA Draft and Javon Bess and Marvin Clark Jr. both transferred.

Carter joins a front court that returns Gavin Schilling and welcomes in incoming freshman Nick Ward.

Charles Buggs transferring away from Gophers

charles-buggs-0531.png

Charles Buggs transferring away from Gophers

Another departure from the Minnesota basketball program.

The Gophers announced Tuesday that Charles Buggs will transfer out of the program following his graduation and will seek to play his final season of NCAA eligibility elsewhere.

"I want to take the time to thank everyone including our coaching staff and especially Minnesota fans for their support and efforts throughout my time here," Buggs said in the team's announcement. "Being part of the University of Minnesota athletic program, I was able to not only make friends but formulate a new family that helped me grow as an athlete and a person. I will always support the University and Minnesota and hope to get the opportunity to give back to the school and the athletic program as much as it has given me."

After redshirting as a freshman, Buggs played for the Gophers over the last three seasons, averaging a career-high 5.9 points per game last season in 24 minutes a game.

"It has been a pleasure to coach Charles over the past three years and see his continued development and growth as a basketball player and a person," head coach Richard Pitino said in the announcement. "Charles has always represented the university with class, and I am especially proud of him graduating. He has a bright future in basketball and life ahead of him and will no doubt find success wherever he goes."

Minnesota was a miserable 8-23 last season, the 23 defeats setting a program record. All that losing has Pitino on the hot seat, and a host of disciplinary issues led to multiple suspensions and dismissals last season.

Buggs is the second player to transfer out of the program since the season ended, joining Kevin Dorsey, who according to the Star Tribune transferred "following a suspension for the final four games after sex videos appeared on his social media sites."