East St. Louis is out of playoffs again

East St. Louis is out of playoffs again

Friday, Nov. 5, 2010
10:00 AM

By Mike Clark

East St. Louis is out of the state football playoffs again, this time likely for good.

On Thursday the St. Clair County Associate Judge Richard Aguirre granted the IHSA's request to lift his temporary restraining order that put the Flyers back into the Class 7A bracket last week.

Aguirre's ruling allows the IHSA to enforce executive director Marty Hickman's ruling that East St. Louis must forfeit the first five of its nine regular-season wins from this season (and all 10 victories from 2009) for using an ineligible player, senior lineman Charles Tigue.

Hickman originally had made that ruling on Oct. 26, but East St. Louis went to court and got the temporary restraining order on Oct. 28. The Flyers then beat Belleville West 41-10 last Saturday and were scheduled to play Belleville East in this weekend's second round.

Now, the Flyers will be forced to forfeit that first-round win and Belleville West will return to the playoffs to play at Belleville East at 1 p.m. Saturday.

This is an important ruling that reinforces our ability to govern our member schools, said IHSA Executive Director Marty Hickman. It is the obligation of each member school to abide by those rules and to be accountable for the repercussions that accompany failure to comply. This is an unfortunate incident, but it does not change East St. Louis Senior High Schools status or standing as an IHSA member school. It is our goal to now work with the schools administration to improve the policies and procedures that allowed these violations to occur, in the hopes that this situation never repeats itself.

White Sox name Chris Getz Director of Player Development

White Sox name Chris Getz Director of Player Development

The White Sox announced on Friday they have named former MLB infielder Chris Getz as Director of Player Development.

Getz replaces Nick Capra, who after five seasons in his position was named the White Sox third base coach on Oct. 14.

The 33-year-old Getz has spent the last two years with the Kansas City Royals as a baseball operations assistant/player development in which he assisted in minor-league operations and player personnel decisions.

[SHOP: Gear up, White Sox fans!]​

“I'm excited about the opportunity to help teach and develop young talent in the organization where my professional career began,” Getz said in a press release. “I was drafted twice, worked through the minor leagues, and reached the major leagues with the White Sox. Through this journey, I was able to gain an understanding of the individuals within this organization, who I respect greatly.  The director of player development is an important role, and the health of the minor-league system is vital for major-league success.  I look forward to putting my all into making the White Sox a strong and winning organization.”
White Sox Senior VP/general manager Rick Hahn added: “We are pleased to add Chris’ intellect, background and energy to our front office. He is extremely well-regarded throughout the game, and we believe he is going to have a positive impact on the quality of play from rookie ball through Chicago.”

Getz, originally a fourth-round selection by the White Sox in the 2005 MLB Draft out of Michigan, played in seven MLB seasons with the White Sox (2008-09), Royals (2010-13) and Blue Jays (2014).

Getz had a career slash line of .250/.309/.307 with three home runs, 111 RBI and 89 stolen bases.

Notre Dame AD Jack Swarbrick tells ESPN Brian Kelly will be back in 2017

Notre Dame AD Jack Swarbrick tells ESPN Brian Kelly will be back in 2017

Brian Kelly's job at Notre Dame apparently is not in jeopardy despite the team's 2-5 start to the 2016 season. 

Irish athletic director Jack Swarbrick told ESPN.com that Kelly "will lead this team out of the tunnel opening day next year."

Kelly has come under fire for his perceived penchant for criticizing players before himself as well as his behavior on the sidelines as Notre Dame's chances of becoming bowl eligible have slipped this season. The seventh-year Irish coach, though, was praised for his relationship with his team by Swarbrick, who told ESPN it's "probably as strong as any that I've seen with him at Notre Dame." Multiple players said after Notre Dame's loss to Stanford last weekend that they didn't believe Kelly had lost the team

Kelly and Notre Dame agreed to a six-year contract extension in January that runs through the 2021 season.