Sox Drawer: Dealing Getz Under Way Early

Sox Drawer: Dealing Getz Under Way Early
November 5, 2009, 6:43 pm
Share This Post

Thursday, November 5

Well, that didnt take long.

Just hours after the Yankees beat the Philles in the World Series, officially marking the end of the 2009 baseball season, the White Sox have reportedly made the first big trade for the 2010 season. The New York Daily News is reporting that the Sox have sent Chris Getz and Josh Fields to Kansas City for Mark Teahen.

But the news might be a little premature. Chris sent me a message at 11:15 a.m. saying that "nothing has been confirmed." At 5:15 p.m., he said that the Sox still hadn't told him anything and called it "an odd situation." Meanwhile, the White Sox are being mum about it, choosing not to confirm or deny the report.

This isnt to say that the deal wont happen. But in our world of lightning-quick technology, rumors of a trade sometimes travel faster than the actual trade itself.

If the report is true, the possibilities are quite intriguing.

First, it immediately opens a hole at second base, leading to speculation as to who might fill it.

The Sox could go the free agent route. Orlando Hudson and Mark DeRosa are available. So is Placido Polanco, who like Teahen has been a White Sox killer over the years. Polanco can hit the ball to all fields, he works the count and rarely strikes out. He also might come relatively cheap. He made 4.6 million a year the last four seasons with the Tigers and is 34 years old.

They could also bring back a certain free agent who can play three infield positions, is one of the best defensive players in White Sox history, and just so happened to record the final out in the 2005 World Series.

Ladies and gentlemen, Juan Uribe. Thoughts?

Of course, the Sox could also make an internal move. Jayson Nix is a possibility. But considering his struggles at the plate last year, and the message Ozzie Guillen sent him and Brent Lillibridge (hit or else), that might be too big of a gamble.

They could also move Gordon Beckham over to second base, or have Gordon play shortstop his natural position and move Alexei Ramirez back to second.

In that scenario, you now have a hole at third base. Chone Figgins anyone? But considering his red-hot demand, its more like Kenny Williams will have to open up the Jerry Reinsdorf vault to get him.

But if there is some money to be spent, heres another free agent candidate: Adrian Beltre.

Hes won the last two American League Gold Glove Awards at third base for the Mariners, but is easily coming off the worst hitting season of his career (eight homers and 44 RBIs in 111 games). True, he made over 13 million each of the last two seasons, which is very much out of the White Sox price range.

But I smell bargain.

The other candidate at third is Teahen himself. He played 107 games at the hot corner last year for the Royals. He also played 32 games in right (good-bye Jermaine Dye?), as well as 11 at first and even three at second.

The man is versatile, and with todays re-signing of the uber-versatile Mark Kotsay, it gives Williams many options with the GM meetings starting next week in Chicago.

If the Teahen deal happens, consider this merely move No. 1. There are plenty more coming. Keep checking back throughout the day. If more news happens, well have it.