Venezuela hunts for kidnapped MLB player

585464.jpg

Venezuela hunts for kidnapped MLB player

From Comcast SportsNet
CARACAS, Venezuela (AP) -- Venezuelan authorities said Friday they are confident they can quickly solve the kidnapping of Washington Nationals catcher Wilson Ramos. The abduction on Wednesday was the first known kidnapping of a major leaguer in a country that has scores of players on big league rosters, and it has brought a renewed focus on rising violent crime in Venezuela. Deputy Justice Minister Edwin Rojas said investigators are making progress in gathering evidence and have physical descriptions of the kidnappers based on the accounts of relatives. "We have faith in the quick resolution of this case," Rojas told state television. He said President Hugo Chavez's government "is working 24 hours a day to solve this case." Armed men seized Ramos at gunpoint Wednesday outside his home in a working-class neighborhood in the city of Valencia. Authorities said Thursday that they had found a stolen SUV used by the kidnappers abandoned in a nearby town. Neighbors held a candlelight vigil outside his home and prayed for Ramos, as did fans at a baseball game in Valencia on Thursday. At games in three Venezuelan stadiums Thursday night, players and fans observed a minute of silence in support of Ramos. Some held signs reading: "Free Wilson Ramos!" Teams added green to their uniforms, some sporting a green ribbon on one shoulder, others a green "W" for Wilson embroidered on their jerseys. Security has increasingly become a concern for Venezuelan players and their families as a rising wave of kidnappings has hit the wealthy as well as the middle class. Venezuelan police said 618 kidnappings were reported in 2009, and the numbers have grown rapidly in recent years. In 1998, when Chavez was elected, just 52 kidnappings were reported. Security experts say the real number of kidnappings today is much higher because many cases aren't reported to authorities.

Jaylon Smith taken No. 34 in NFL Draft by Dallas Cowboys

jaylon_smith_sound_04-27_640x360_675126851776.jpg

Jaylon Smith taken No. 34 in NFL Draft by Dallas Cowboys

Where Jaylon Smith would land was one of the biggest questions heading into the second round of the 2016 NFL Draft, which began Friday night in Chicago. 

We didn't have to wait long for an answer.

The Dallas Cowboys took Smith with the 34th overall pick, just three selections into the second round. Smith, who won the Butkus Award in 2015, isn't likely to play in 2016 after suffering a torn ACL and LCL in the Fiesta Bowl that also contained damage to the nerve in his knee. 

Prior to his injury, and the revelations of nerve damage, Smith was widely projected to be a top-10 pick. A former five-star recruit (and winner of the high school Butkus Award, too), Smith asserted himself as one of the most talented players to ever come through Notre Dame during his three seasons in South Bend. The Fort Wayne, Ind. native totaled 292 tackles and 19 tackles for a loss in his college career, in which he was moved from outside linebacker in Bob Diaco's 3-4 scheme to "Will" inside linebacker in Brian VanGorder's 4-3 defense. 

Smith took out an insurance policy last year, which reportedly paid him $700,000 for not being a first-round pick $100,000 for each pick after the end of the first round he wasn't selected, so he'll received $900,000 from it. 

Smith's former teammates and coaches rushed to Twitter to celebrate. There wasn't a consensus on when Smith would be drafted, with projections ranging between the second and fourth founds. 

John Danks to start for White Sox on Wednesday

ventura_pre_on_danks_04-29_640x360_676603459732.jpg

John Danks to start for White Sox on Wednesday

BALTIMORE — John Danks will get another turn in the White Sox rotation.

Even though he could have manipulated the team’s rotation with a day off upcoming, manager Robin Ventura said Friday that Danks would start again on Wednesday night at home against the Boston Red Sox. Danks allowed six runs in Thursday’s loss and fell to 0-4 with a 7.25 ERA in four starts.

“You’re sitting there going through it, he was just in the middle of the plate (Thursday),” Ventura said. “I think he has a good changeup, still battles and all that stuff. I know he’s frustrated. But where we’re at, we need him to battle, and at this point, that’s what we’re doing.”

Entering Friday, the White Sox won eight of their past 10 games with their only losses coming in both of Danks’ starts. Danks had his best turn of the season on April 21 when he limited the Los Angeles Angels to two runs over six innings. But he had no fastball command on Thursday and the Baltimore Orioles made him pay. Danks said he’s only focused on his work when he was asked Thursday about the big picture.

“I’ve got enough to worry about here than anything else,” Danks said. “I’ll be ready to go. I’ll work hard. I’m not going to pout or anything. Never have or never will. I guess it’s part of it. It’s not easy, but there’s only one thing to do and that’s work hard and get ready to take the ball.”

After the game, Ventura said the White Sox would work to help Danks, who’s in the final season of a five-year contract. Not only has Danks allowed two home runs per nine innings, his highest total since 2013, he also has walked 4.4 batters per nine, a career-worst.

“We’re trying to make him better and we’re going to continue to work at that and continue to make him better so he can help us,” Ventura said.

Reliever Tommy Kahnle joins White Sox as Daniel Webb goes on DL

ventura_on_robertson_s_abesence_04-28_640x360_675831875535.jpg

Reliever Tommy Kahnle joins White Sox as Daniel Webb goes on DL

BALTIMORE — Reliever Tommy Kahnle is set to join the White Sox, who placed Daniel Webb on the 15-day disabled list late Friday afternoon.

Webb, who pitched in Thursday’s blowout loss, has right elbow flexor inflammation.

A November trade acquisition, Kahnle had one save, a 3.00 ERA and 12 strikeouts in nine innings at Triple-A Charlotte this season. The White Sox acquired Kahnle from the Colorado Rockies on Nov. 24 in exchange for Yency Almonte.

The move to the DL comes only two days after Webb joined the team in part to cover David Robertson, who went on the bereavement list on Thursday. Webb made his 2016 debut Thursday and struck out three in a scoreless inning. He could be seen wearing an ice pack in the clubhouse before Friday’s game.  

Kahnle was a Rule 5 pick of the Rockies in 2014 off the roster of the New York Yankees. He has a 4.41 career ERA in 90 major league appearances between 2014-15.

The move comes at the end of a busy week for the previously healthy White Sox.

Catcher Alex Avila, who has made good progress, according to Robin Ventura, was placed on the DL on Sunday with a sore right hamstring. His replacement, catcher Kevan Smith, suffered back spasms during warmups Monday only a few hours before he was set to make his major league debut. Smith went on the DL the next day and is in Glendale, Ariz. to rehab his injury.

Though he didn’t go on the bereavement list until Thursday, Robertson knew he’d need three days off, which allowed the White Sox to call up Webb on Wednesday.