Why women's pro soccer canceled 2012 season

Why women's pro soccer canceled 2012 season
January 30, 2012, 6:00 pm
Share This Post

From Comcast SportsNet
SAN FRANCISCO (AP)The U.S. womens football league wont play the 2012 seasonamid a legal dispute with an ousted owner.The leagues Board of Governors voted Monday to suspend the season withhopes of resuming in 2013, Womens Professional Soccer announced. In October, it terminated its South Florida franchise after clashing withowner Dan Borislow all season. A Florida judge ruled earlier this month that theleague failed to follow its own dispute procedures when it terminated thefranchise, and another court hearing is set for Wednesday.WPS CEO Jennifer OSullivan said owners chose to cancel the season overpossibly working with Borislow in the league again.We have diverted so many resources into litigation, she said. This issomething that needs to be resolved before we can move forward with play.Borislow purchased the former Washington Freedom before last season andmoved the club to South Florida, renaming it for a telephone call device heinvented. The magicJack franchise was repeatedly disciplined during the seasonfor not meeting league standards. In August, after Borislow filed suit againstthe WPS, the league released a statement accusing him of violations ranging fromunprofessional and disparaging treatment of his players to failure to pay hisbills.The league has played three seasons. It needed a waiver from the U.S. SoccerFederation to be sanctioned as a first-division league in 2012 with only fiveteams, below the required eight. In the deal with the governing body inDecember, WPS agreed to increase the number of teams to a minimum of six for2013 and at least eight for 2014.