Bears front office quiet after multiple injuries

Bears front office quiet after multiple injuries
October 23, 2013, 3:45 pm
Share This Post
CSN Staff

By Paul Roumeliotis

Despite dealing with multiple injuries, the Bears don't appear to be scrambling for any acquisitions via trade. 

Pro Football Talk's Mike Florio spoke on the McNeil and Spiegel Show on Wednesday and reported that all is quiet for the Bears front office.

"There really hasn't been any talk about the Bears doing anything," Florio said. "And the attitude that I have sensed all along throughout this slew of injuries has been next man up next man up. Where you get to a certain point where you're getting down to some next men who can't get it done. And what do you do?"

Florio points out that making a trade isn't that simple, especially in the NFL.

[MORE: 49ers' Harbaugh a 'phone call' away to return as Bears QB?]

"Here's the problem with trying to make a team better this year via trade, this isn't baseball where you have a very limited range of responsibilities and your actions are transferable," Florio said, "You're basically changing a tire on a moving car or car on a moving tire, either way, not easy to do.

"I can't think of many in-season trades that ever have really panned out for the team that has acquired the player, unlike other sports where you can see the results -- that lift that comes from making that trade."

The Bears lost Jay Cutler for a minimum of four weeks, Lance Briggs for four-to-six weeks, and D.J. Williams for the year earlier this season. Charles Tillman and Martellus Bennett have also been dealing with nagging injuries and are listed as questionable for the game against Green Bay on Nov. 4.

The Bears also have one open spot to fill on their 53-man roster.