After monster Rose Bowl performance, Penn State wideout Chris Godwin declares for NFL Draft

chris-godwin-0105.jpg
USA TODAY

After monster Rose Bowl performance, Penn State wideout Chris Godwin declares for NFL Draft

After putting up some eye-popping numbers in Monday's Rose Bowl, Penn State wide receiver Chris Godwin is heading to the NFL Draft.

Godwin announced Thursday that he will forgo his remaining NCAA eligibility and join the professional ranks.

Godwin caught nine passes for 187 yards and a pair of touchdowns in Penn State's 52-49 loss to USC in Pasadena. Those two touchdown passes went for 30 and 72 yards.

Godwin was the Nittany Lions' leading receiver this season, catching 59 passes for 982 yards and 11 touchdowns. He was a key cog in Penn State's offensive turnaround that saw the Lions' offense go from an ineffective unit to one of the most explosive point-producing machines in the country.

"It’s been an honor and a blessing to have the opportunity to be a part of the Penn State Football family," Godwin said in his announcement. "I give all the glory to God. I don’t know if words can fully express my gratitude to everyone that played a role in me getting to this point. The success I’ve had is a direct result of my association with the teams and supporting staff that I’ve had. From Middletown High School to Penn State, I have made relationships that will last a lifetime. Those closest to me know the impact this has had on my growth. The special bond with this team is something I’ll hold forever.

"I came to Penn State not only to pursue a degree from the greatest university in the nation but also to play in the best atmosphere in college football and bring Penn State back to prominence. Through a lot of hard work over the last three years, I’d like to believe that myself and my brothers have successfully accomplished that.

"As a kid from Delaware I could only dream about being in this position. This has been one of the hardest decisions in my life, but after praying on it and having many conversations with those I trust the most, I’ve decided to forgo my senior year and declare for the 2017 NFL Draft. I believe this is the best decision for myself and my family. I can’t thank my brothers, coaches and support staff and Nittany Nation enough for their constant support throughout my three years here. This year was something special, and I’ll be forever grateful to have been a part of it."

Penn State head coach James Franklin added his own words.

"Chris has been a leader in our wide receivers room and on this team throughout his Penn State career," Franklin said. "He is one of the top receivers in Penn State history and has made numerous memorable catches throughout his career. We are thankful for all of Chris’ contributions to Penn State Football and look forward to seeing him excel on the next level."

At the conclusion of his collegiate career, Godwin ranks fourth on Penn State's all-time receiving list with 2,404 yards. He ranks seventh with 153 career catches and fourth with 18 touchdown grabs.

Michigan State defensive lineman Auston Robinson off team after being charged with sexual misconduct

auston-robertson-0421.jpg
USA TODAY

Michigan State defensive lineman Auston Robinson off team after being charged with sexual misconduct

An ugly offseason for Michigan State's football program got uglier Friday.

Defensive lineman Auston Robertson was first charged with sexual misconduct before a statement from head coach Mark Dantonio announcing that Robertson is no longer a member of the team.

Robertson, a potential starter on the defensive line who played in seven games as a freshman last season, was charged with third-degree criminal sexual conduct Friday after police said he raped a woman.

This is unrelated to an ongoing sexual-assault investigation involving three other Michigan State football players and a staff member, all four of which were suspended earlier this year.

Robertson came to Michigan State with some controversy. He was involved in another serious situation before even signing with the Spartans, accused of improperly touching a female classmate during his senior year of high school and receiving a misdemeanor battery charge. That charge was later removed from his record after completing a diversionary program earlier this year.

Dantonio had this to say in a statement Friday:

"The criminal sexual conduct charges announced today against Auston Robertson are of the most serious nature. Sexual assault has no place in our community. While there is an ongoing criminal process, we're extremely disappointed that Auston put himself in this position. He is no longer a member of our football program.

"Due to the charges he was facing during his recruitment, we took precaution in allowing Auston to be a part of our football program, including a thorough vetting, which we acknowledged publicly at his singing. This was a multiple-step process that continued through his final admission in the summer.

"Following his arrival on campus, he underwent an extensive educational process with specific prerequisites put in place for his participation as a student-athlete. This included daily supervised sessions within the football program and regular meetings with university staff addressing appropriate behavior and developmental growth. He also successfully completed his one-year diversionary program directed by the court, which included a 22-week course focused on behavior changes that began in Indiana and was transferred to the state of Michigan. Despite these measures, Auston broke our trust and expectations by putting himself in a compromising situation.

"Our players are representatives not only of themselves and their families, but also Michigan State University, this football program and all of those who support us. We will continue to emphasize and enforce the high standards of integrity, respect and accountability that I have for everyone in this program. We expect all of our players to conduct themselves in a manner that reflects the values and principles of this university."

Robertson was a candidate to start along the defensive line after recording three tackles and forcing a fumble as a reserve last season.

Despite rough spring game, Wilton Speight still tops Michigan's quarterback depth chart

wilton-speight-jim-harbaugh-0420.jpg
USA TODAY

Despite rough spring game, Wilton Speight still tops Michigan's quarterback depth chart

Wilton Speight is still on top of Michigan's quarterback depth chart, despite the fact that the incumbent starter had an ugly performance in the Wolverines' spring game.

Speight threw two interceptions and completed just nine of his 26 passing attempts in the spring's fanciest scrimmage. But Michigan head coach Jim Harbaugh told reporters Wednesday that Speight is still ahead of everyone at the game's most important position.

"It'll always be (a competition,)" Harbaugh said in Detroit, his quotes published by the Detroit Free Press. "Still over the course of the whole spring practice, Wilton on our depth chart, he's No. 1. But it's a meritocracy. By your effort and by your talent you will be known. That's a good thing for our football team.

"We get it in camp and we go through camp, somebody that stands out and it's undeniable, that's what we're looking for, there's that one guy. Probably eight, nine, 10 practices, that's probably the range where you make up your mind on something like that. It's always going to be that meritocracy."

The challengers are John O'Korn, who was No. 2 to Speight last season, and Brandon Peters, a freshman from Indiana who had a nice spring game with 160 yards and a touchdown on just nine completions as well as a rushing touchdown.

Speight completed 61.6 percent of his passes last season, throwing for 2,538 yards and 18 touchdowns and seven interceptions. O'Korn completed 20 of his 34 passing attempts in game action last season, throwing for 173 yards and a pair of touchdowns. Peters was ranked as a top-160 recruit nationally by Rivals, a four-star prospect and the No. 6 pro-style quarterback in the Class of 2016.

Unsurprisingly for the always-secretive Harbaugh, the head coach said the quarterback competition will be ongoing and last for some time. It would be no shock to see things play out much like they did last season, when Michigan's starting quarterback was a mystery until the offense took the field in the season-opener.