Rockford IceHogs hold off Chicago Wolves

Rockford IceHogs hold off Chicago Wolves
October 18, 2013, 11:30 pm
Share This Post
CSN Staff

By Evan F. Moore

ROSEMONT, IL -- After splitting the last two games with the Lake Erie Monsters, the AHL affiliate of the Colorado Avalanche, the Rockford IceHogs got back on track with 5-3 victory over the Chicago Wolves at All State Arena Friday night.

55 seconds in, left winger Terry Broadhurst got the IceHogs on the board first with a top-shelf blast. He was assisted by Jimmy Hayes and Adam Clendening.

Broadhurst said he made eye contact with right winger Jimmy Hayes when he went behind the net.

“Jimmy Hayes was wheeling down the right side with a lot of speed,” Broadhurst said. “I saw him go behind the net. I kind of made eye contact. He made a hell of a pass and it went in.”

Left winger Jeremy Morin scored the second goal of the first period. 2013 Hobey Baker winner Drew LeBlanc and Viktor Svedberg assisted. It was Morin’s second goal of the season.

The IceHogs outshot the Wolves 14-3 in the first period.

As much as the IceHogs had control of the first period, the Wolves got back into the game with a strong second period.

Right winger Tyler Shattock helped the Wolves get on the board with his first goal of the season. He was assisted by Evan Oberg, who stole the puck in the neutral zone.

The Wolves cut the lead down to one with a shorthanded goal by Alexander Bolduc. Oberg assisted.

Even though the Wolves were outshot by a 2-1 margin halfway through the third period, they found a way to get back into the game. Blue liner Oberg tied it up with a power play goal with 2:36 left. He was assisted by Chris Porter.

IceHogs defenseman Klas Dahlbeck put the IceHogs up for good with a slap shot from left of the point. He says he has been working on his shot this season.

“I got some good chances. I’m trying to shoot a little bit more,” Dahlbeck said. “I don’t know who made the pass. I think he tried to hit somebody in the middle. It went by their guy and our guy. I can just slide into it.”

Dahlbeck was assisted by Brad Winchester and Jeremy Morin.  

The IceHogs and Wolves combined for 10 penalties. The IceHogs went 0 for 6 on the power play.

Goaltender Kent Simpson made 19 saves for the IceHogs.

IceHogs coach Ted Dent told the team to keep their energy up even though they were up three goals after the first period.

“We talked about a few things we can get better at. We talked about our energy,” Dent said. “We like that we got a lot of pucks at the net and we like the fact we didn’t take a penalty in the first period.”

Dent also discussed what he told the team when Chicago tied up the game late in the third period.

“We knew that they were going to come out much harder in the second. It was a little disappointing after having a 3-0 lead,” Dent said. “There’s nothing we could do about it just keep plugging away and stick with the program.”

Mark McNeill, a former first-round draft pick of the Blackhawks added an empty goal late in the third period. He was assisted by Terry Broadhurst.

The season opener for the Ice Hogs (3-2) is Saturday night against the Grand Rapids Griffins, the AHL affiliate of the Detroit Red Wings.