Bears chances of going WR at No. 19 keep shrinking

558490.jpg

Bears chances of going WR at No. 19 keep shrinking

The apparently outstanding Pro Day on Tuesday for Notre Dame wide receiver Michael Floyd (and others) likely makes a Bears decision for them, if in fact it was one in the first place.

ESPN draft analyst Mike Mayock opined after Floyds performance that Floyd could well be off the draft board by pick No. 10 of the first round. Floyds size (6-foot-3, 220 pounds), production (271 career catches, 37 career receiving TDs) and speed (sb-4.4-sec., 40 at the Scouting Combine) make him the designer wideout that passes the eye test and just about every other one.

What it means for the Bears is all but no chance of taking a wide receiver with their pick at No. 19.

They are in what is generally the drafts dead zone for wide receivers. In the last five drafts, a handful of receivers have gone by No. 10: A.J. Green, Julio Jones last year; Darrius Heyward-Bey and Michael Crabtree in 2009; Calvin Johnson and Ted Ginn Jr. in 2007.

None went before 22 in 2010 and none at all went in the first round of 2008.

Jeremy Maclin was the Eagles pick at No. 19 in 2009 but he was the only receiver taken in the 11-20 range over the past five years.

The conclusion is that there is either clearly perceived elite talent thats worth a top-10 dice roll, or you dont commit a No. 1 pick below the 20s on a position with a high bust factor.

Interestingly perhaps, the first receiver after Green and Jones went last year was Pittsburgh's Jonathan Baldwin at No. 26 to the Kansas City Chiefs and then-college personnel chief Phil Emery.

Emery already has parted with two 3s for Brandon Marshall so he is unlikely to mortgage his first draft on a lunge up for Floyd. More likely, if all the deserving defensive ends and cornerbacks are disappearing before No. 19, would be a trade down to re-acquire picks and drift into that 20-30 range where nine wideouts have been taken over the last five drafts.

That leaves out Michael Floyd.

Bears' Josh Sitton finds fourth Pro Bowl most meaningful yet

Bears' Josh Sitton finds fourth Pro Bowl most meaningful yet

Sometimes the passage of time makes things a little sweeter.
 
Josh Sitton had been selected to three Pro Bowls while a member of the Green Bay Packers. At the end of training camp last year, the Packers abruptly released Sitton.
 
On Monday, Sitton was named to his fourth Pro Bowl, replacing former Green Bay teammate T.J. Lang. At age 30, this Pro Bowl was special.
 
"It's a great honor, always a goal of mine every year," Sitton said via conference call. "It's an honor to me and to the guys I play with, the guys helping me along...
 
"I would say just the age thing, the older you get, the more you appreciate them. You can't play at a high level in this game so the whole age thing makes it even more special."

[SHOP: Gear up Bears fans!]
 
When the Bears were forced to go into Week 1 of the 2015 season with a shuffled offensive line, the situation wasn't ideal; Pro Bowl guard Kyle Long moving to right tackle as a hurried fill when neither Charles Leno nor Jordan Mills were an answer.
 
The 2016 season also began with an unexpected and significant shuffle, but this time with one that immediately bumped up the quality of the line. GM Ryan Pace moved quickly to sign Sitton after his release by the Green Bay Packers, a step that bumped rookie Cody Whitehair from guard to center, where he earned All-Rookie honors from the Pro Football Writers Association of America.
 
"It was challenging for sure," Sitton said. "It was something I haven't had to do for quite some time but it was stimulating being thrown in and needing to learn the offense in four or five days."
 
Sitton, who signed a three-year contract worth as much as $21 million with $10 million guaranteed, joins rookie running back Jordan Howard as the two Bears scheduled to play in the Pro Bowl. He started 12 of 13 games in 2016, missing time with an ankle injury but being a strong presence in a line that ranked No. 8 in sack percentage while getting Howard to a franchise-record 1,313 rushing yards even with a rookie center and a group that never played a game together before Week 1 in Houston against the Texans.
 
"I think we can only get better, now that we'll have an offseason together," Sitton said. "We'll see what we can do."

Bears guard Josh Sitton named as injury replacement in Pro Bowl

Bears guard Josh Sitton named as injury replacement in Pro Bowl

The Bears have another Pro Bowler.

After initially getting shut out on the Pro Bowl roster, the Bears have since had two players named as injury replacements with guard Josh Sitton now joining running back Jordan Howard.

Sitton was named as an injury replacement Monday afternoon for Packers guard T.J. Lang, who left Sunday's NFC Championship game early.

This will be Sitton's third straight Pro Bowl and fourth career honor.

[SHOP: Gear up Bears fans!]

The 30-year-old offensive lineman signed with the Bears before 2016 after the Packers released him.

Sitton played in 13 of the Bears' 16 games including 12 starts, helping to anchor the Bears' line when healthy.

Howard replaced Cardinals running back David Johnson on the NFC Pro Bowl roster earlier this month.