Framework for Forte deal

766316.png

Framework for Forte deal

Philadelphia Eagles talented running back LeSean McCoy has finally struck a deal with the team on a long-term contract. The Eagles and McCoy agreed to a new five-year 45 million deal with 20.75 million in guarantees.

What does it mean for Matt Forte and his bid for a long-term contract?

Its just another contract in the book that Fortes representation will use as framework for a new deal. The Bears initial offer, under former GM Jerry Angelo, included only 15 million in guarantees. Since then, three of the NFLs most talented backs have locked up long-term deals. They are:

McCoy (Eagles) - Age 23. Five-year, 45 million which includes 20.75 million in guarantees.

Marshawn lynch (Seahawks) Age 26. Four-year, 31 million which includes 17 million in guaranteed money.

Arian Foster (Texans) Age 25. Five-year, 43.5 million which includes 20.75 million in guarantees. This deal is interesting because Foster will receive 30 million in the first three years of the contract.

Matt Forte (Bears) Age 26. As of right now, Forte and the Bears have until July 16th to work out a long-term deal. With Forte currently designated as the team's Franchise Player, he's scheduled to make 7.74 million in 2012 if they don't come to a long-term contract agreement.

Forte has not participated in the Bears' offseason workout program and it would seem doubtful whether or not he will participate in the team's veteran minicamp scheduled for June 12-14. One would think common ground can be reached by then with the recent string of running backs agreeing to long-term contracts around the league.

The framework is there when digesting the aforementioned contracts. Forte was smart not to take the 15 million in guarantees. He is looking at north of 20 million minimum in guaranteed money if a new five-year contract is agreed upon.

He’s back: Blackhawks sign Brian Campbell

He’s back: Blackhawks sign Brian Campbell

For Brian Campbell, it was pretty simple.

He wanted to come back to Chicago. He makes his offseason home here, wants to continue to raise his young family here and is incredibly familiar with the team here. All it was going to take was a decent, not decadent, salary.

Campbell got that, and now he’s back to try and win another Stanley Cup.

Campbell signed a one-year deal worth a reported $2 million with the Blackhawks not long after the NHL free agency window opened on Friday. For Campbell, the chance to come back to Chicago was too tempting and worth turning down other, more lucrative offers.

“It’s where my heart is, where I want to play,” said Campbell via conference call. “The last time when I was a free agent, money played a factor. This time it was about what was best for me and my family. I have two young daughters; one is going into preschool. I’ve been welcomed into the neighborhood I live in. It’s just where I wanted to be, where my heart was. It just makes our life perfect. We’re ecstatic about being here.”

It’s a good, affordable deal, just like the one the Blackhawks signed Brad Richards to entering the 2014-15 season. Unlike with Richards, there shouldn’t be much adjustment time for Campbell. While the Blackhawks’ roster has changed plenty since Campbell was traded, the core is still fairly intact.

General manager Stan Bowman said at the draft last weekend that he wouldn’t rule out getting a veteran defenseman. Now he has Campbell back in the fold and it didn’t take long to convince him to return.

“The fact it came together so quickly, seemed it was a place Brian wanted to be,” Bowman said. “No question that Brian had a tremendous season this past year and several good years, leading up to this year. I’m sure he had other opportunities. Speaks to what person Brian is. He’s a winner. He believes in our organization and our chances last year. Nice to know he wants to be part of what we’re doing in Chicago. Familiarity with the coach and some players here. We’re excited he chose Chicago.”

Campbell’s return helps a defense that missed Johnny Oduya last season. Whether or not he plays as big a role as he did in Florida, or even in his first stint with Chicago, remains to be seen but Campbell believes he can still be a top-minute guy. His durability has been proven; the 37-year-old Campbell has played in every regular-season game with the Florida Panthers since he joined them in the 2011-12 season.

“I have a lot left in the tank,” Campbell said. “There are no egos here for me. It’s doing what’s best to win. I know how old I am but I definitely don’t feel that old. I led the Panthers in minutes last season but I’m definitely fine with less minutes as well. Whatever they want I’m more than happy to contribute.”

With the Campbell deal done the Blackhawks have around $3.2 million in cap space, per generalfanager.com. The Blackhawks may not do a whole lot else regarding free agency. Bowman said the Blackhawks could get a “role-type player,” but getting Campbell was their top priority.

The Blackhawks needed to bolster their defense. Campbell wanted to come “home.” It worked out. Now to see if Campbell is once again the defenseman the Blackhawks need.

“I call Chicago home. My wife grew up here and we’re excited to raise our two daughters here,” Campbell said. “I couldn’t be happier to play for my hometown team now.”

Dale Weise signs four-deal deal with Flyers

Dale Weise signs four-deal deal with Flyers

Dale Weise has moved on from the Blackhawks, and signed a four-year contract with the Philadelphia Flyers, the team announced Friday.

The deal is reportedly worth $9.4 million total, according to Sportsnet's Elliotte Friedman, which comes out to be an annual cap hit of $2.35 million.

Weise struggled to hold down a roster spot in Chicago after being acquired at the trade deadline from the Montreal Canadiens.

He registered just one assist in 15 regular-season games with the Blackhawks, and was a healthy scratch in three of their seven playoff contests. 

Prior to his brief stint with the Blackhawks, the 27-year-old Weise put up 14 goals and 12 assists in 56 games last season with the Canadiens.

Blackhawks sign Sam Carrick, Pierre Cedric-Labrie to one-year deals

Blackhawks sign Sam Carrick, Pierre Cedric-Labrie to one-year deals

The Blackhawks announced Friday that they have made a couple minor-league moves.

Forwards Sam Carrick and Pierre-Cedric Labrie agreed to one-year deals with the team, and are likely to report to the Rockford IceHogs of the American League.

Carrick, 24, scored 16 goals and 18 assists in 52 games last season with the AHL's Toronto Marlies. Across four seasons with the Marlies, Carrick has accumulated 100 points (41 goals and 59 assists) in 192 games, including six goals and 11 assists in 36 career Calder Cup playoff games.

He was a fifth-round pick (No. 144 overall) in the 2010 NHL Draft.

Labrie, 30, has spent the last two season in Rockford, where he scored a career-high 20 goals and added 14 assists in 66 games last season. The Blackhawks originally signed Labrie, who was an undrafted free agent, in 2014 before re-signing him to a one-year contract last June.