Vancouver forward Jannik Hansen will have a hearing with the NHL’s Department of Player Safety this afternoon for his hit on Blackhawks right wing Marian Hossa on Tuesday night.
Elliotte Friedman of Hockey Night in Canada reported the hearing would be at 2:30 p.m. CT. He also said it’s a phone hearing, which means that Hansen can be suspended a maximum of five games.
Hossa took a Hansen forearm to the back of his head 1:10 into the third period of the Blackhawks’ 4-3 shootout victory over Vancouver. Hansen was assessed a two-minute roughing for the incident. Hossa was down for several moments before getting up and going to the locker room under his own power.
Quenneville said after the game that Hossa “seemed OK,” but that he would be reassessed over the next day or so. Quenneville added that there is “major concern” with Hossa, considering his recent concussion history. Hossa suffered a concussion back in mid-April when forward Raffi Torres elbowed him in the head, and wasn’t cleared for contact until Nov. 15.
As far as the hit, Quenneville said, “I think everybody saw it, everybody can have their own opinion. I’ll let the people who do that stuff do their job.”
Hansen said he was going for the puck.
“Apparently I hit him in the back of the head, is what the ref is telling me. I was coming down, but it's hard for me to tell what really happened,” he said following the game. “It's a hockey play and we bumped together a little hard. Again, he goes down, I can't really do anything about that. We both go for the puck and we ran into each other.
“Obviously we know he got hit last year, I think everyone in the hockey world knows that,” Hansen said of Hossa. “But again, it’s a hockey play. When you go for a puck, you go for a puck.”