Morin will try to prove he belongs

552266.jpg

Morin will try to prove he belongs

Updated: 4:51 p.m.

Jeremy Morin has had a tough go this last year. A concussion sidelined him for more than nine months, and he needed to regain his game in Rockford before he had a chance with the Blackhawks again.

And after a solid few months with the IceHogs, Morin is getting that opportunity.

Morin is in the lineup tonight when the Blackhawks host the Calgary Flames. Morin will replace forward Daniel Carcillo, who is out with an upper-body injury sustained Wednesday against the Minnesota Wild.

The 20-year-old Morin has traveled the long road this season. He suffered his concussion on Jan. 15 against the Chicago Wolves and didnt play a game again until Oct. 14.

I think I was just excited to be back in the swing of things, playing very night, every weekend, said Morin, who just finished serving a three-game suspension with Rockford for an elbowing incident. I had to prove that I could play again before I could get the chance.

Morins done that, with 15 points in 22 games including nine points in his last nine games -- with the IceHogs. For Morin, it was frustrating missing all that time with an injury that, unfortunately, has no timeline to it. He practiced with the Blackhawks in training camp but could never play in a preseason game.

Its hard; I never went through something like that before, he said. Going through it, you dont know how much it takes coming back. I didnt struggle in the beginning but it was tougher than I thought coming back. I was just excited to finally be back.

Morin has plenty of skill, with some grit thrown in for good measure. He showed some of that last season, when he played nine games with the Blackhawks.

We see him having a good future, coach Joel Quenneville said. He played well in the minors this year. He has an upside offensively, strength in puck area and a good shot. Coming off the extended injury there, hes earned the opportunity with how hes played and prior to that as well.

Morins gone through the long injury. Now he just wants a chance to see what he can do here again.

Any time you come up here want to play as hard as you can and prove you can play at this level, he said. Thats what Ill try to do.

Blackhawks deal Andrew Shaw to Montreal for two draft picks

Blackhawks deal Andrew Shaw to Montreal for two draft picks

BUFFALO, N.Y. – Andrew Shaw had to wait until his third go-around in the NHL Draft before he was selected by the Blackhawks. Two Stanley Cups later, he became a big part of this group.

Like several before him, he said he wanted to stay here. Like several before him, cap issues probably prevented that from happening.

Shaw was traded to the Montreal Canadiens for two second-round selections, as the NHL Draft began on Friday. Shaw was going to become a restricted free agent next Friday. And while both sides said they hoped to find a deal to keep Shaw in Chicago, that deal didn’t come.

The Blackhawks get two second-round picks, the 39th and 45th overall selections, in this draft. That now gives them 10 selections in this draft, which continues with Rounds 2-7 on Saturday.

General manager Stan Bowman didn’t say how close or how far away the Blackhawks and Shaw’s camp were regarding a potential new deal.

“It’s a very tough day, a difficult decision to make,” Bowman said following Round 1. “We love Andrew, everything he’s brought to the Blackhawks. We certainly want to thank him for some incredible hockey. He’s been the ultimate warrior for us and we certainly wish him well. It was a very difficult decision and these are the hard ones to make. It was a tough phone call. But we absolutely wish him the best and we’re trying to look forward.”

The salary cap will be $73 million this season, just $1.6 million more than 2015-16. Asked if that minimal cap hike sealed Shaw’s fate, Bowman said, “I don’t know how to handicap that. It was really just something we worked at as much as we could and you have to make tough decisions sometimes and this was one of those.”

A Shaw re-signing seemed more likely after Bryan Bickell and Teuvo Teravainen were traded, freeing up more than $4 million in cap space. Instead, the Blackhawks send him to Montreal and bulk up their draft selections. What Shaw gets from the Canadiens remains to be seen but both Pierre LeBrun and Elliotte Friedman report that Shaw should get a new deal relatively soon.

As for the Blackhawks, not signing Shaw gives them breathing room. That’s good now and it could prove more important later, especially if the Blackhawks find a way to sign Artemi Panarin long term.

“We have enough cap room now,” Bowman said. “Whether we make moves to make moves remains to be seen but we don’t have a salary-cap problem.”

Cap space is what the Blackhawks saved. But it’s another loss to their roster, another player going elsewhere due to salary-cap issues. Bowman said the Blackhawks are moving forward. But they’ve lost a lot in the process. Shaw is the latest.

“We’re trying to make this situation the best we can with the salary cap and we’re here at the draft and we’re looking for the future. We’re trying to build our team for many years to come. So there’s always that balance between the current team and also the future,” Bowman said. “And in order to have future Blackhawks coming through you have to sometimes make tough decisions. And that’s how it went.”

Stan Bowman: Blackhawks trying to get something done with Andrew Shaw

Stan Bowman: Blackhawks trying to get something done with Andrew Shaw

We’re entering the meaty portion of this offseason. The NHL draft begins Friday in Buffalo and free agency commences July 1. The Blackhawks have selections to make, questions to answer and a roster to shape.

And so it begins again.

With the salary cap set at $73 million for the 2016-17 season, general manager Stan Bowman can move forward with potential signings and other offseason moves. The top priority still seems to be re-signing Andrew Shaw, although Bowman said on Thursday there’s been no progress on that front thus far. Shaw’s agent Pat Brisson said via email last week that he expects to talk to Bowman at the draft this weekend.

“We’ve had some good discussions with his agent, so that’s ongoing. And we’re trying to get something done. That’s how I can characterize it right now,” Bowman said from Buffalo. “There are a lot of things we’re working through and that’s certainly one of them.”

The Blackhawks have some cap room but not a ton. If they do sign Shaw, he could take $3 million or more of that; he had a cap hit of $2 million last season. Do the Blackhawks get a defenseman? Do they make some other deal in the next few days/weeks? Plenty of speculation abounds this time of year but Bowman wasn’t talking about any of it.

“There are lots of rumors floating round. I’d say a majority of them are false but you can’t comment on individual rumors. We have a job to do and there are a lot of conversations this time of year,” Bowman said. “We’re trying to prepare for the draft, we have eight picks and that’s an important part of building for the future, making sure we prepare well and choose the right players. The other part of it is shaping our roster for next season, which can come through trades, preparing for free agency and those type of things. There’s a lot happening and these are busy days.”

In the meantime, the Blackhawks have shored up several depth players recently. Richard Panik signed a one-year deal last week. Nick Schmaltz signed a three-year, entry-level deal on Sunday. Dennis Rasmussen was re-signed for this coming season on Wednesday. As much as everyone likes the splashy deal and players these depth guys are just as important, especially to a team constantly fighting cap issues.

“It’s a huge part of what we’re trying to do here and critical to our success going forward,” Bowman said. “[This is Rasmussen’s] third year with us. He took a big jump last year and now he’s trying to build on that and expand his role. With Nick, we’re thrilled he made the decision he was ready for pro hockey. We’ve felt that way for a while here, watching him the last two years in college. He’s grown his game from when we drafted him and we thought it was time for him to take the next step. He felt the same way. He’ll have a great opportunity to show us what he can do in camp. We don’t hand out jobs but they’re there to come and earn. He’s prepared to have a big summer. When we get to see him on the ice, you’ll see the talent he has.”

The Blackhawks have eight picks at the draft; they’ve usually selected a good mix of forwards, defensemen and goaltending and they’ll probably do the same this draft. But this weekend usually goes beyond taking future prospects. The Blackhawks have decisions to make and a roster to shape. Much of that could start this weekend.

Report: Brian Campbell has interest in returning to Blackhawks

Report: Brian Campbell has interest in returning to Blackhawks

Could Brian Campbell be making a return to the Blackhawks?

According to a report from the Chicago Tribune's Chris Kuc, the veteran defenseman — who's an unrestricted free agent — is interested in returning to Chicago.

Campbell was a member of the Blackhawks' Stanley Cup winning squad back in 2010 and spent three seasons in a Chicago sweater before getting traded to the Panthers, with whom he spent the past five seasons.

During his three seasons with the Blackhawks, Campbell tallied 117 points. He registered 18 points in three Stanley Cup Playoffs, was a playoffs-leading plus-11 during the 2010 run to the Cup and recorded the lone assist on Patrick Kane's Cup-winning goal in overtime of Game 6.

The 37-year-old Campbell has 487 career points and is a plus-51 in his 16-year NHL career. He's been selected to seven All-Star Games.