Byrds suspension unlikely to impact bottom line for Cubs


Byrds suspension unlikely to impact bottom line for Cubs

Marlon Byrds stock had fallen so far that the Cubs had to pay most of the roughly 6 million remaining on the final year of his contract when they traded him to the Boston Red Sox.

The deal was made in late April, or less than two years after Byrd made key plays that helped the National League win the 2010 All-Star Game in Anaheim, Calif.

The Cubs looked into the financial implications once Major League Baseball suspended Byrd for 50 games after testing positive for Tamoxifen, a performance-enhancing substance typically associated with breast cancer treatment, or masking potential side effects from steroid use. But the punishment isnt expected to impact their bottom line.

Im still trying to get to the bottom of the situation, general manager Jed Hoyer said Tuesday. My initial sense right now is that it doesnt. Ill probably have more to say on that in a couple days once I know for sure. But it looks like (because) hes a released player, its termination pay, and therefore I dont think that either of the teams are going to save money based on the suspension.

Earlier this month, the Red Sox released the 34-year-old outfielder, who was guaranteed 6.5 million this season. Industry sources said that a wrinkle in the collective bargaining agreement means Byrds suspension will be based off the prorated veterans minimum salary. In essence, it will cost closer to 150,000 than 2 million.

Byrd released a statement through the Major League Baseball Players Association on Monday apologizing for an inexcusable mistake made to deal with a private medical condition. The free agent said he was mortified by his carelessness and hopeful to help a team after the suspension is lifted Aug. 20.

For years, the commissioners office suspiciously viewed Byrds working relationship with BALCO founder Victor Conte. In a text message, Byrd told USA TODAY that Victor had nothing to do with this.

MLB official: World Series Game 2 to 'start on time' despite potential rain

MLB official: World Series Game 2 to 'start on time' despite potential rain

CLEVELAND -- Game 2 of the World Series is on -- for now.

With rain forecast for late Wednesday night, Major League Baseball officials said they have a contingency plan in place to suspend the contest in case it is disrupted by weather. MLB has only suspended one other World Series contest, Game 5 of the 2008 edition between the Tampa Bay Rays and Philadelphia Phillies.

MLB already made an early decision Tuesday to move up Wednesday’s start time by an hour to 6:08 p.m. CST in order to improve chances of avoiding the weather. The current forecast calls for steady rain to start falling at 9 p.m. CST.

“The plan right now is to start on time,” said MLB’s Peter Woodfork. “Right now we hope it’s light, nothing heavy.

“As long as the field holds up, the integrity of the field, we’ll continue to play. If something happens and we can’t go, we’ll pull the tarp and see where we’re at. Most likely if it’s that heavy, we’re going to have to suspend the game and finish tomorrow.”

Woodfork said MLB wouldn’t announce a potential re-start for Game 2 until later Wednesday night, if necessary.

Cubs manager Joe Maddon and utility man Ben Zobrist were part of the 2008 Tampa Bay squad that waited two days for Game 5 to resume. Maddon said the Rays had already checked out of their hotel in preparation for the return trip to Tampa Bay for Game 6 and didn’t find a new hotel until after 1 a.m.

“You just have to play the game,” Maddon said. “There’s not a whole lot you can do about it. It’s one of those uncontrollable components. The game in Philadelphia was pretty severe. I don’t think it’s going to be Philadelphia-like weather conditions tonight. That game was very awkward to play. The rain was horizontal. It was freezing. There was actually standing water on the field.”

Woodfork said the current plan calls for Game 3 to begin on time in Chicago on Friday regardless if Thursday’s travel day is wiped out by a resumed game.

“When you’re playing the World Series, the weather is secondary,” Zobrist said.

Indians will start Corey Kluber in Game 4 of World Series against Cubs

Indians will start Corey Kluber in Game 4 of World Series against Cubs

CLEVELAND — A day after his ace threw six shutout innings in Game 1 of the World Series, Cleveland Indians manager Terry Francona confirmed right-hander Corey Kluber will start Game 4 on short rest Saturday at Wrigley Field. 

Kluber only threw 88 pitches in Cleveland’s 6-0 win Tuesday night and is not only lined up to start Game 4, but is also potentially in line to start an if-necessary Game 7 — which also would be on three days’ rest. 

[SHOP: Buy a "Try Not to Suck" shirt with proceeds benefiting Joe Maddon's Respect 90 Foundation & other Cubs Charities]  

The 30-year-old right-hander made one start on three days’ rest in the playoffs, in which he allowed two runs on four this with two walks and seven strikeouts against the Toronto Blue Jays in Game 4 of the American League Championship Series. Those two runs, which came on an Ezequiel Carrera single and a Josh Donaldson home run, are the only two he’s allowed in 24 1/3 postseason inning. 

Francona said Game 2 starter Trevor Bauer and Game 3 starter Josh Tomlin both are in line to pitch on short rest, too, which could mean the Indians make left-hander Ryan Merritt or right-hander Danny Salazar (who were in the discussion to start Game 4) available out of the bullpen Wednesday night. 

Veteran right-hander John Lackey is in line to start Game 4 for the Cubs.