Notre Dame makes Kiel transfer official

Notre Dame makes Kiel transfer official

March 19, 2013, 11:30 am
Share This Post

SOUTH BEND, Ind. -- Notre Dame confirmed Tuesday Gunner Kiel will transfer from the school, about a week and a half after the quarterback's move away from South Bend was widely reported.

"He is no longer part of the program," coach Brian Kelly said.

Kelly added there were no restrictions given to Kiel regarding where he could go, but there was an open conversation between the two about where Kiel was looking in relation to Notre Dame's future schedules.

Kiel is still enrolled at Notre Dame and will finish out the current semester. He gave Kelly a laundry list of schools he'd consider -- "too many for me to even get into," Kelly said -- at both the national and regional level.

[MORE: Spring player to watch: Everett Golson]

The timing of Kiel's transfer came as at least somewhat of a surprise, given he didn't stick around for spring practice.

"We had kinda created an opportunity for him to compete in the spring, so may be a little surprised from that standpoint," Kelly said. "He had been told he'd be given an opportunity to compete."

For Kelly, there is some disappointment as to Kiel's departure, although he couched it in wanting the best for anyone who comes through the program.

"You never want to see guys not stay in the program. You don't bring guys in expecting them to transfer," Kelly said. "There's always a sense from my end, we wish he could've given it an opportunity. Kids make decision s based now hat are important factors to them. Gunner and his family felt like it was best for them to pursue other opportunities. We're coaches, teachers, educators, we want to see guys succeed."