Dunn ready for a new chapter

626106.png

Dunn ready for a new chapter

When he was introduced at a Saturday seminar at SoxFest, Adam Dunn heard the strangest sound coming from White Sox fans:

Cheers.

Quite a difference from last season when Dunn's theme song became a chorus of boos that cascaded throughout U.S. Cellular Field for weeks as he batted .159 with 177 strikeouts. Maybe the room was filled with optimistic Sox fans, maybe they're willing to give him a second chance or maybe they were just saving their boos for when the new season begins.

I couldn't really tell.

Either way Dunn is hoping to put his lost 2011 campaign behind him.

"Hopefully Im going in this year feeling as good as Ive felt in a long time and just ready to get started and quit talking about it," Dunn told reporters. I thought itd be a lot easier. I thought Id be able to go through the offseason like Whatever, its over, like I do everything else. I wasnt quite able to do that because, for one, you couldnt go anywhere without people like, What happened? Whats wrong? Basically looking for me to make an excuse or something. That ain't happening."

Considering all of the criticism from fans and media over the last eight months, give Dunn credit for coming to SoxFest to face the music. He was open and honest, even telling the fans at the seminar that things got so bad last season that his wife asked him if he should consider switching sides in the batter's box and try hitting right-handed.

Some people might subscribe to the theory that you need to fail to succeed in life, believing that the season Dunn just experienced might help him in the long run. However, Dunn is not one of those people.

"I dont buy into the you need to fail,' all that stuff," Dunn said. "Like when everyone said the (Green Bay) Packers needed to lose a game to go into the playoffs. Why? You want to win them all. I want to be as good as I can every single year for 20 years or for however long I play.

"It doesnt matter where you go, everyone is talking about last year. I realize that comes with that, but I really cant wait for Opening Day.

Towards the end of last season, Dunn spotted White Sox announced Hawk Harrelson in the parking lot and told Harrelson that his goal was to win the Comeback Player of the Year award in 2012. But Dunn knows he's not the only one who needs a bounceback year.

We made two pretty good moves, I think, this offseason," he said. "That was hopefully getting me and Alex Rios back. Thats the way Im looking at it. We pretty much have the same team. We lost a couple of key players. We have guys capable of stepping in and filling that role and do a little better. Thats what were expecting.

Dunn says he doesn't weigh himself every morning, but judging by his appearance he did lose a lot of weight, mainly in the mid-section.

Now the wait begins for Dunn to go out and prove himself to a White Sox fan base that was let down in 2011.

"As soon as New Year's Eve when I was in bed at 12:01 like everyone else," Dunn said with a smile. "That's a new year."

If there's anyone who needed a new year, it was him. Now it's here. Hopefully a new chapter begins.

MLB players, owners reach tentative labor deal

MLB players, owners reach tentative labor deal

IRVING, Texas (AP) — Baseball players and owners reached a tentative agreement on a five-year labor contract Wednesday night, a deal that will extend the sport's industrial peace to 26 years since the ruinous fights in the first two decades of free agency.

After days of near round-the-clock talks, negotiators reached a verbal agreement about 3 1/2 hours before the expiration of the current pact. Then they worked to draft a memorandum of understanding, which must be ratified by both sides.

"It's great! Another five years of uninterrupted baseball," Oakland catcher Stephen Vogt said in a text message.

In announcing the agreement, Major League Baseball and the players' association said they will make specific terms available when drafting is complete.

"Happy it's done, and baseball is back on," Los Angeles Dodgers pitcher Brandon McCarthy said.

As part of the deal, the experiment of having the All-Star Game determine which league gets home-field advantage in the World Series will end after 14 years, a person familiar with the agreement told The Associated Press. The person spoke on condition of anonymity because the deal had not yet been signed.

Instead, the pennant winner with the better regular-season record will open the Series at home.

Another important change: The minimum time for a stint on the disabled list will be reduced from 15 days to 10.

The luxury tax threshold rises from $189 million to $195 million next year, $197 million in 2018, $206 million in 2019, $209 million in 2020 and $210 million in 2021.

Tax rates increase from 17.5 percent to 20 percent for first offenders, remain at 30 percent for second offenders and rise from 40 percent to 50 percent for third offenders. There is a new surtax of 12 percent for teams $20 million to $40 million above the threshold, 42.5 percent for first offenders more than $40 million above the threshold and 45 percent for subsequent offenders more than $40 million above.

Union head Tony Clark, presiding over a negotiation for the first time, said in a statement the deal "will benefit all involved in the game and leaves the game better for those who follow."

Key changes involve the qualifying offers clubs can make to their former players after they become free agents — the figure was $17.2 million this year. If a player turns down the offer and signs elsewhere, his new team forfeits an amateur draft pick, which usually had been in the first round under the old deal.

Under the new rules, a player can receive a qualifying offer only once in his career and will have 10 days to consider it instead of seven. A club signing a player who declined a qualifying offer would lose its third-highest amateur draft pick if it is a revenue-sharing receiver, its second- and fifth-highest picks (plus a loss of $1 million in its international draft pool) if it pays luxury tax for the just-ended season, and its second-highest pick (plus $500,000 in the international draft pool) if it is any other team.

A club losing a free agent who passed up a qualifying offer would receive an extra selection after the first round of the next draft if the player signed a contract for $50 million or more and after competitive balance round B if under $50 million. However, if that team pays luxury tax, the extra draft pick would drop to after the fourth round.

Among other details:

—For a team $40 million or more in excess of the luxury tax threshold, its highest selection in the next amateur draft will drop 10 places.

—While management failed to obtain an international draft of amateurs residing outside the U.S., Puerto Rico and Canada, it did get a hard cap on each team's annual bonus pool for those players starting at $4.75 million for the signing period that begins next July 2.

—There is no change to limits on active rosters, which remain at 25 for most of the season and 40 from Sept. 1 on.

—Smokeless tobacco will be banned for all new players, those who currently do not have at least one day of major league service.

—The regular season will expand from 183 days to 187 starting in 2018, creating four more scheduled off days. There are additional limitations on the start times of night games on getaway days.

—The minimum salary rises from $507,500 to $535,000 next year, $545,000 in 2018 and $555,000 in 2019, with cost-of-living increases the following two years; the minor league minimum for a player appearing on the 40-man roster for at least the second time goes up from $82,700 to $86,500 next year, $88,000 in 2018 and $89,500 in 2019, followed by cost-of-living raises.

—The drop-off in slot values in the first round of the amateur draft will be lessened.

—Oakland's revenue-sharing funds will be cut to 75 percent next year, 50 percent in 2018, 25 percent in 2019 and then phased out.

—As part of the drug agreement, there will be increased testing, players will not be credited with major league service time during suspensions, and biomarker testing for HGH will begin next year.

Negotiators met through most of Tuesday night in an effort to increase momentum in the talks, which began during spring training. This is the third straight time the sides reached a new agreement before the old contract expired, but a deal was struck eight weeks in advance in 2006 and three weeks ahead of expiration in 2011.

Talks took place at a hotel outside Dallas where the players' association held its annual executive board meeting.

Clark, the first former player to serve as executive director of the union, and others set up in a meeting room within earshot of a children's choir practicing Christmas carols. A man dressed as Santa Claus waited nearby.

Baseball had eight work stoppages from 1972-95, the last a 7 1/2-month strike in 1994-95 that led to the first cancellation of the World Series in 90 years. The 2002 agreement was reached after players authorized a strike and about 3 1/2 hours before the first game that would have been impacted by a walkout.

The peace in baseball is in contrast to the recent labor histories of other major sports. The NFL had a preseason lockout in 2011, the NBA lost 240 games to a lockout that same year and the NHL lost 510 games to a lockout in 2012-13.

Stephen Hawkins, Ronald Blum and AP Baseball Writer Janie McCauley in Oakland, California, contributed to this report.

Rick Hahn: White Sox 'open to discussing trades with all 29 other clubs'

Rick Hahn: White Sox 'open to discussing trades with all 29 other clubs'

Rick Hahn cleared the air late Wednesday afternoon about who the White Sox would and wouldn’t consider a trade partner.

The general manager issued a brief statement about his team’s stance on trades after a recent ESPN report suggested the White Sox wouldn’t allow the Cubs to trade for five-time All-Star Chris Sale.

“To clarify any confusion regarding our stance on possible trading partners, we want to once again make it clear that our primary goal is to make our club better,” Hahn said in an email. “We will consider any trade, with any team, that improves the Chicago White Sox.

“As I have said many times over the years, we are always open to discussing trades with all 29 other clubs. We even have completed trades within our division, despite facing these teams 19 times a year, and while trades between the Cubs and White Sox will always draw heightened scrutiny and attention, it makes no sense for us to ever eliminate any potential trading partners.”

Though reports continue to roll in that they’re listening on players with less than four seasons of control, the White Sox haven’t said which direction they intend to head or if they’d trade Sale. Still, many signs point to the team starting anew after another disappointing season.

The White Sox have had a losing record in four straight seasons and haven’t reached the postseason since 2008.

[SHOP: Gear up, White Sox fans!]

Sale would likely cost a fortune to whatever team wants to acquire him as the White Sox need to rebuild a thin farm system that has proven incapable of providing replacement-level talent in the case of injuries in recent years.

Earlier Wednesday, Cubs GM Jed Hoyer discussed the difficulty of a potential trade between the two sides.

The last deal between the two sides was Nov. 16, 2006 when the White Sox acquired David Aardsma and Carlos Vasquez for Neal Cotts.