Chicago Bears

Carimi expects to be ready for minicamps this month

580358.png

Carimi expects to be ready for minicamps this month

One of the reasons the Bears did not spend a draft choice last month on an offensive lineman was that they see themselves as getting two No. 1 picks in for the 2012 season.

Gabe Carimi (2011s No. 1) was lost six quarters into his rookie season with a knee injury. Chris Williams (2008s) went down with a wrist injury in the ninth game.

Both are expected to be ready not only for the season but also for work before that.

Carimi said Saturday night at the black-tie Bears Care Gala charity event that he is hoping to be ready for the organized team activities beginning in two weeks and definitely for the veterans minicamp set for mid-June.

If we continue our progress, we should be doing minicamps, Carimi said. Im going to be in the mix. Theres never any promises. Its just getting healthy and getting back out there, thats the important thing.

Carimi is expected to open as the starting right tackle, where he was rated as the Bears best offensive lineman early last season.

Williams is a flex factor, a former tackle who settled at guard the past two seasons but whose future is projected to be back at tackle because of the cluster of experienced options at guard (Lance Louis, Chilo Rachal, Chris Spencer, Edwin Williams).

George McCaskey, Bears release statement on Trump comments

9-24georgemccaskey.jpg
USA Today Sports Images

George McCaskey, Bears release statement on Trump comments

About an hour and 40 minutes before the Bears kicked off against the Pittsburgh Steelers on Sunday, Bears chairman George H. McCaskey released a statement following President Trump's comments about the NFL and National Anthem protests over the weekend:

Pittsburgh Steelers coach Mike Tomlin told CBS his team will remain in the locker room and will not participate in the National Anthem before Sunday's game.

A number of players knelt during the Star-Spangled Banner prior to Sunday morning's Baltimore Ravens-Jacksonville Jaguars game at Wembley Stadium in London, and Jaguars owner Shad Khan locked arms with his players during the anthem. 

Other NFL owners released statements on the Trump comments over the weekend, too:

Report: Steelers won't participate in National Anthem at Soldier Field

usatsi_10288904.jpg
USA TODAY

Report: Steelers won't participate in National Anthem at Soldier Field

The Pittsburgh Steelers will not participate in the National Anthem on Sunday at Soldier Field, according to Jamie Erdahl. 

The decision follows Donald Trump's recent comments on NFL protests at a rally in Huntsville, Alabama.

"Wouldn't you love to see one of these NFL owners, when somebody disrespects our flag, to say, 'Get that son of a bitch off the field right now. Out. He's fired. He's fired," Trump said. 

No word on what the Bears will do yet, but the Steelers will be in the locker room.