Adams, Webb named Piccolo Award winners

454849.jpg

Adams, Webb named Piccolo Award winners

Tuesday, April 26, 2011
Posted: 11:10 a.m.

By John Mullin
CSNChicago.com
Tackle JMarcus Webb was the winner of the Bears prestigious Brian Piccolo Award, named for the former Bears running back and created in 1970 following death due to cancer on June 16 of that year.

Defensive tackle Anthony Adams, already the winner of the Bears Ed Block Courage Award this year, was honored Tuesday as the winner of the award for veterans. The veteran award was established in 1992 and first presented to Mike Singletary, who was retiring at the end of that season.

The winners are chosen by the players. This is the 41st anniversary of the award. Piccolo wore No. 41 when he played for the Bears from 1966-69

When an award is voted on by your teammates, it is special, said coach Lovie Smith.

Adams was a particular hit with one fan in attendance. Daddy, youre funny, son Anthony III piped up as Adams finished at the podium.

Coordinator Mike Martz presented the award to Webb, a seventh-round draft choice out of West Texas A&M. The odds of him making this team were pretty remarkable, Martz said. To accomplish what Webb did says a lot about JMarcus and the kind of many he is.

Webb was visibly moved by the moment. I stand here humbled by the Brian Piccolo Award, Webb said. He was a man who inspired people from all walks of life with his dedication... Im not sure Ill be able to measure up to such a man but I will seek to inspire others with my hard work and dedication.

Adams epitomizes the term and concept of teammate, said defensive coordinator Rod Marinelli in presenting Adams.

I just appreciate everybody, on down to the training staff that kept us on the field, Adams said. Its definitely a great honor and it was definitely a great experience this year, being one game away from the Super Bowl...

Im sorry to be talking about Green Bay but I hate having this bad taste in my mouth.

Following Piccolos death, the Brian Piccolo Cancer Research Fund was established and proceeds sent to the Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center in New York for research on embryonal cell carcinoma. The disease that was 100 percent fatal at the time of Piccolos death had the rate reduced to 50 percent today.

The late Ed McCaskey played a prominent role in helping Piccolo through his illness and in the work against cancer after Piccolos death. The Fund has since turned its work to breast cancer research and raised more than 8 million since 1991.

John "Moon" Mullin is CSNChicago.com's Bears Insider, and appears regularly on Bears Postgame Live and Chicago Tribune Live. Follow Moon on Twitter for up-to-the-minute Bears information.

Bears' Josh Sitton finds fourth Pro Bowl most meaningful yet

Bears' Josh Sitton finds fourth Pro Bowl most meaningful yet

Sometimes the passage of time makes things a little sweeter.
 
Josh Sitton had been selected to three Pro Bowls while a member of the Green Bay Packers. At the end of training camp last year, the Packers abruptly released Sitton.
 
On Monday, Sitton was named to his fourth Pro Bowl, replacing former Green Bay teammate T.J. Lang. At age 30, this Pro Bowl was special.
 
"It's a great honor, always a goal of mine every year," Sitton said via conference call. "It's an honor to me and to the guys I play with, the guys helping me along...
 
"I would say just the age thing, the older you get, the more you appreciate them. You can't play at a high level in this game so the whole age thing makes it even more special."

[SHOP: Gear up Bears fans!]
 
When the Bears were forced to go into Week 1 of the 2015 season with a shuffled offensive line, the situation wasn't ideal; Pro Bowl guard Kyle Long moving to right tackle as a hurried fill when neither Charles Leno nor Jordan Mills were an answer.
 
The 2016 season also began with an unexpected and significant shuffle, but this time with one that immediately bumped up the quality of the line. GM Ryan Pace moved quickly to sign Sitton after his release by the Green Bay Packers, a step that bumped rookie Cody Whitehair from guard to center, where he earned All-Rookie honors from the Pro Football Writers Association of America.
 
"It was challenging for sure," Sitton said. "It was something I haven't had to do for quite some time but it was stimulating being thrown in and needing to learn the offense in four or five days."
 
Sitton, who signed a three-year contract worth as much as $21 million with $10 million guaranteed, joins rookie running back Jordan Howard as the two Bears scheduled to play in the Pro Bowl. He started 12 of 13 games in 2016, missing time with an ankle injury but being a strong presence in a line that ranked No. 8 in sack percentage while getting Howard to a franchise-record 1,313 rushing yards even with a rookie center and a group that never played a game together before Week 1 in Houston against the Texans.
 
"I think we can only get better, now that we'll have an offseason together," Sitton said. "We'll see what we can do."

Bears guard Josh Sitton named as injury replacement in Pro Bowl

Bears guard Josh Sitton named as injury replacement in Pro Bowl

The Bears have another Pro Bowler.

After initially getting shut out on the Pro Bowl roster, the Bears have since had two players named as injury replacements with guard Josh Sitton now joining running back Jordan Howard.

Sitton was named as an injury replacement Monday afternoon for Packers guard T.J. Lang, who left Sunday's NFC Championship game early.

This will be Sitton's third straight Pro Bowl and fourth career honor.

[SHOP: Gear up Bears fans!]

The 30-year-old offensive lineman signed with the Bears before 2016 after the Packers released him.

Sitton played in 13 of the Bears' 16 games including 12 starts, helping to anchor the Bears' line when healthy.

Howard replaced Cardinals running back David Johnson on the NFC Pro Bowl roster earlier this month.