Bears waive Jimmy Clausen, promote David Fales ahead of possible roster raid

david-fales.png

Bears waive Jimmy Clausen, promote David Fales ahead of possible roster raid

For the second year in a row the Bears have moved quarterback David Fales from their practice squad onto the active roster, and waived backup Jimmy Clausen.

As he did last year after week 12 when the Bears moved him onto the 53-man roster, Fales had drawn interest from other NFL teams, believed to include the Baltimore Ravens. Quarterback Joe Flacco went down for the season with a torn ACL on Sunday and Baltimore offensive coordinator Marc Trestman coached Fales last year after the Bears acquired him as a sixth-round pick out of San Jose State.

“I think, we know, we had some interest in David,” said coach John Fox. “It was a decision that we made organizationally to give him a look.”

Fales had drawn interest last year around this time from the New England Patriots and San Diego Chargers, causing the Bears to move him onto the regular roster. Any team can sign a player from another team’s practice squad without compensation but must put the player on the new team’s regular roster.

An accompanying question behind the move is whether the Bears have turned some additional attention onto the future after Sunday’s 17-15 loss to the Denver Broncos.

[SHOP: Gear up Bears fans!]

“I think like a big part of our roster, we’re looking at young guys,” said Fox. “We’ll look for a practice-squad guy to bring in for the practice squad as we move forward. That’s not been done at this point.”

Clausen started one game in both 2014 and 2015, and entered games in both seasons after Jay Cutler was injured. The Bears were shut out at Seattle in Clausen’s one start this season and lost to the Detroit Lions late last season when Cutler was benched. Clausen, who appeared in mop-up duty last year in the Green Bay and New England blowout losses, suffered a concussion in the Detroit game and was back on the bench the final week of the season.

Clausen replaced Cutler after the latter suffered a hamstring strain in the loss to Arizona this year. Clausen completed 14 of 23 passes for 121 yards against Arizona, then had a dismal outing against the Seahawks, completing nine of 17 passes for 63 yards in a conservative game plan intended to minimize risk.

 

Jay Cutler urges Bears not to start Mitch Trubisky in 2017

Jay Cutler urges Bears not to start Mitch Trubisky in 2017

Now that Jay Cutler has officially joined the broadcast booth, he can speak his mind when it comes to his former club.

Fresh off announcing he's joined FOX Sports as a broadcaster, teaming up with announcers Kevin Burkhardt and Charles Davis, the former Bears quarterback shared some advice on how the Bears should handle their new first-round quarterback Mitch Trubisky.

Joining ESPN Radio's Waddle and Silvy on Friday afternoon, Cutler said that he would advise the Bears not to play Trubisky even if they're playing bad.

"If it's going downhill, I don't really see any reason to play the kid," Cutler told ESPN Radio. "I'm sure there's going to be a lot of people calling for his name, because you draft him at No. 2 and draft him for a reason, and that's to play football and win games. But if you look at a lot of quarterbacks throughout this league, until you've got some people around you, some pieces around you, it's hard to win football games in this league as a quarterback.

"If it's going downhill, there's no way I'm playing him. For what? So he can go out there and take a beating and he can get off to a rough start as an NFL quarterback?"

[BEARS TICKETS: Get your seats right here]

Cutler even vowed to reach out to current Bears starting quarterback Mike Glennon, who he believes the team put in awkward spot after they signed him to a three-year deal with $18.5 million guaranteed prior to trading up in the draft for Trubisky.

Bears fans will get their first chance to watch Cutler analyze his ex-club when he works in the broadcast booth for the Bears-Titans preseason matchup on Aug. 27.

Will Bears fans finally get to see another side of Jay Cutler in his new role as FOX broadcaster?

Will Bears fans finally get to see another side of Jay Cutler in his new role as FOX broadcaster?

Well, that escalated quickly.

Just a day or so after word got out that former Bears quarterback Jay Cutler had auditioned to become an NFL game analyst for FOX came the announcement Friday morning he'd been hired and will pair with Kevin Burkhardt and Charles Davis as one of their broadcasting teams.

And look for Cutler around Halas Hall, and the Bears, again this season.

While Burkhardt and Davis are respected, solid and do a fine job, that threesome with Cutler likely won't be high on the pecking order for marquee games each week, and the Bears — not being one of those must-see teams nationally right now — have 11 games on FOX this season.

Just as the media here would have loved to have been a fly on the wall wherever Cutler was over his eight years at Halas Hall, how interesting will those Friday and Saturday production meetings with John Fox and Mike Glennon be? And how will Cutler handle any mistake from Fox, Glennon or the Bears in general during games? Or maybe he'll turn that over to Davis? Any tension will be broken quickly, as Cutler & Co. are scheduled to call the Bears' third preseason game, against the Tennessee Titans, during a national broadcast Aug. 27.

As JJ Stankevitz, Scott Krinch and I discussed on our latest Bears Talk Podcast (recorded Thursday afternoon before Cutler was officially announced as a new FOX employee), we found it hard to believe Cutler would make the jump this quickly, believing that he'd at least sit tight and wait for the inevitable preseason injuries for an opening around a league that's shut its doors on him so far. Perhaps his surgically repaired shoulder wouldn't have been ready to take the kind of hits he absorbed during his time here.

But Cutler was always an "on my terms" guy with the Chicago media after his splash signing in April 2009. And despite agent "Bus" Cook's public contention on the eve of last week's draft that he didn't see retirement in his client's near future, Cutler probably wanted to operate on his terms here. While not shutting the door on retirement papers in the statement he released through FOX on Friday morning, the guess here is he didn't feel like having to be the guy who gets invited to camp late in an emergency, having to pick up an offense quickly (which he's perfectly capable of doing) and having to still wait his turn for snaps.

[BEARS TICKETS: Get your seats right here]

If that's all there's going to be for Cutler's playing career (unless he'd sign with a coach he has a good history with), the final assessment is that he preferred to call his own shots.

During his time here, Cutler was available for a midweek and a postgame press conference during the season. And he'd be a pretty decent listen and share a thing or two if he was asked smart, pointed questions. Eventually, he cooperated with a tolerance for those less inquiring whose knowledge lacked or who'd go in areas he didn't care to address.

Otherwise, he'd be a guest on the team-sponsored radio show once during the season and once for a preseason sitdown interview for the local preseason broadcast. Outside of that, there might be a quick sideline interview once he was lifted in a preseason game and a few one-on-one postgame chats during the year with the radio network's Zach Zaidman. Outside of that, with the exception of a charity event or two along the way, he was allowed his terms, media-wise. That's fine. While I didn't like it, I never personally held it against him for a guy who preferred to limit access. A majority of the guys in any locker room you can just walk up to and chat up after practice without being on record, football topic or not. Cutler made sure, through the team, that wouldn't happen and would barely be seen there during the 45-minute sessions when the media had access three times during a normal week.

It would have been nice, but not necessary, to get to know him better. He was not a "bad" guy. But given the handful of bad looks that cameras caught on the field during games, maybe more exposure could have softened some of that fan and media perception. But the answer to that for him became the running joke that he "didn't care" about those outside opinions.

The scrutiny will be less, the rope a little looser from a smaller number of critics in this new role. There are certain basics and fundamentals in this business, just as there were in the job he's at least temporarily given up. There's no doubt that the first time he criticizes a quarterback's footwork and decision-making, his critics will fire back with a vengeance. He's been a controversial, love-him-or-hate-him player. For publicity purposes, FOX wouldn't mind him creating the same reaction as an analyst. Don't hold your breath on that. But just like his playing days, there's potential there. Let's see how close he reaches it and how far and high he goes.