Forte doesn't think Angelo lied about contract

522048.jpg

Forte doesn't think Angelo lied about contract

Wednesday, Sept. 7, 2011
Posted: 1:18 p.m.

By John Mullin
CSNChicago.com Bears Insider Follow @CSNMoonMullin
At the outset of training camp, Bears GM Jerry Angelo expressed optimism about getting a new deal done with running back Matt Forte, who said he took Angelo at his word that real work would be done to make a new contract happen.

As camp went on, the optimism faded. The Bears put an offer on the table that topped that of Kansas City Pro Bowl running back Jamaal Charles, with more than 10 million in guaranteed money but it was deemed not sufficient by the Forte camp.

But as far as Angelos early comments that Forte was a priority, I dont think he lied about that, Forte said. We tried to get a deal done. I guess maybe they have a different view of the type of player I am than I think I am.

Forte clearly expected to be under a long-term deal by this time. Now the official line is that no negotiations will happen until post-2011 season.

Im a little surprised and disappointed that it wasnt done, Forte admitted. Coming into the league you feel that its supposed to be production-based, and when you produce, you expect the team or the organization to actually notice that, compared to other guys. We just couldnt meet in the middle, I guess.

Scheduling idea

The Bears opening with three playoff teams (Atlanta, New Orleans, Green Bay) seems at first like a schedule-makers vendetta. After all, the schedule does include some first-year coaches and teams coming off bad years and lost offseasons. The Bears couldve drawn the Carolina Panthers, Minnesota Vikings, Oakland Raiders or Denver Broncos, all with coaches in their first full years with their teams or first years as head coaches, period.

But the Bears dont look at that way. Last year they had the Detroit Lions, Dallas Cowboys, Panthers, Seattle Seahawks and Washington Redskins all teams that finished with losing 2010 records and they barely got out of that stretch with a winning (4-3) record.

Besides, I mean, theres no Division-2 schools, quarterback Jay Cutler said Wednesday. We dont have a lot of options, so we got to take what it is. We got Atlanta, and we have to deal with it.

Moneyball?

Jason LaCanfora at NFL Network reports that safety Brandon Meriweather is being paid 3.25 million, which is a lot for a backup, which no one expects him to be for long. But the Bears did give center Chris Spencer a two-year deal worth 6 million, an indication that the Bears regard him as starter-grade and likely will be at some point.

But the market sets the price ultimately, and to the Bears credit, Meriweather is listed behind Major Wright on the depth chart released Tuesday. The two could switch places and Meriweather start, however, if Wednesday and Thursday practices dont go well for Wright.

John "Moon" Mullin is CSNChicago.com's Bears Insider and appears regularly on Bears Postgame Live and Chicago Tribune Live. Follow Moon on Twitter for up-to-the-minute Bears information.

Bears adding Mark Sanchez shouldn't come as a surprise

Bears adding Mark Sanchez shouldn't come as a surprise

The Bears went into the 2017 offseason with a clear plan to make changes, presumably positive ones, at the quarterback position. The idea was and always is to improve the quality of players at this or any position.
 
With the Bears agreeing to terms with former Jet/Eagle/Bronco/Cowboy Mark Sanchez, as first reported by NFL.com's Ian Rapaport, GM Ryan Pace and the organization are addressing the quantity aspect of the position, if not necessarily the quality. And that should not be dismissed.
 
Sanchez fits the template of a Brian Griese, Jason Campbell and even Josh McCown, veterans with less than auspicious resumes' but with more a David Fales or Caleb Hanie had brought to previous rosters. He gives the Bears a third quarterback under contract; expect another to be added before training camp, most likely through the draft next month.

[VIVID SEATS: Get your Bears tickets right here!]
 
It really does not matter that Sanchez, the No. 5 overall pick of the 2009 draft, could not beat out Trevor Siemian in Denver two years ago or Dak Prescott in Dallas last season (while Prescott was still an unknown backup to Tony Romo). The Bears before Thursday had just Mike Glennon and Connor Shaw under contract, and teams typically go into training camps with four passers, if for no other reason than to have arms to spread drill work around.
 
But Sanchez, whose career began with trips to the AFC Championship game his first two seasons in the NFL, represents the kind of backup that teams crave, irrespective of any journeyman status they might have. Sanchez is 30, whose teams have gone 37-35 in his starts, and has experienced winning, albeit less and less as his career has played out.
 
Not that the comparison is particularly notable, but Mark Sanchez or Matt Barkley? If Sanchez somehow surprises perhaps even himself and challenges Glennon, the Bears and Glennon are the better for it.

Would the Bears consider selecting Notre Dame QB DeShone Kizer?

Would the Bears consider selecting Notre Dame QB DeShone Kizer?

Would the Bears consider selecting DeShone Kizer with the No. 3 pick in the upcoming draft?

At what point in the draft should they consider taking a signal caller?

Does it make sense for Ryan Pace and the Bears to take at least one quarterback in every draft?

We answer those questions in the video above in the latest SportsTalk Live segment.