Guillen to Jenks: 'Stay away from Oney'

397518.jpg

Guillen to Jenks: 'Stay away from Oney'

Saturday, Feb. 26, 2011
Posted 2:31 p.m.

By Brett Ballantini
CSNChicago.com

GLENDALE, Ariz. Asked about recent comments by Bobby Jenks, who claimed he was affected by feud between Chicago White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen and GM Ken Williams, Guillen today attempted to take the high road and refused to play dirty in any ongoing war with his former closer.

In his most comprehensive and calmest comment, Guillen sarcastically mentioned, Too bad all the stuff about me and Kenny interrupts his career.

On Friday at Boston Red Sox camp in Ft. Myers, Fla., Jenks had told the Chicago Tribune that he was affected by the front-office controversy in recent years on the White Sox.

A lot of the stuff with Ozzie Guillen and the front office gets old, Jenks said. It has been a problem for a long time. It was a problem before last year Its going to be nice for me to see how things are done with the Red Sox.

However, Guillen didnt hesitate to warn Jenks not to get messed up in a war of words with his son, Oney, who tweeted some clubhouse information about Jenks back in December.

Please, someone who knows Jenks, please tell him not to talk about Oney, Guillen said. Its going to be ugly. I talked to my wife about it, to make sure to tell Oney to let it go. It can end bad. Me? Thats OK. Kenny is OK with itI talked to Kenny. But Oney? Stay away from Oney. Hes not a good kid. When you go to that point with him, Oney knows a lot about a lot of things. Make sure Jenks stays away from Oney.

Oney has made a few tweets on Saturday in reference to the simmering controversy, and he appears to be taking his fathers advice:

I will not comment a single word bc to me the issue was over. Hope u know now who the problem was.

I'm not part of the problem I'm part of the solution happy Saturday.

He is lucky I'm mature and put this to rest. Apologies r accepted I told u it wasn't me.

The White Sox manager did get angrier as he spoke on Jenks, saying,Things that happened last year, I can make a book about Jenks. Not one pageI can make a book out of this kid. I feel bad and sad he thinks that way about me. I feel very sad about it. He knows I can easily kill this kid.

Guillen took particular offense at Jenks pointing fingers.

Bobby was tired of the front-office controversies? So was I, and so was Kenny, Guillen said. But I will apologize to him because we interrupted his career. Thats one of the biggest reasons we finished second: He showed up once a week to pitch.

He had a lot of problems, but we were loyal to him by playing him. I was a very bad manager because I kept him as my closer when he couldnt close. He has to look at himself in the mirror.

Guillen repeated the stance he took on Jenks in January, shaking his head over Jenkss reluctance to put his time with the White Sox to rest.

Im very sad, Guillen said. Im not even mad about it. Im very sad about the way he thinks about us. Am I going to say anything bad about him? Im not going to waste my timehes not part of my program. Its very sad because he should look at himself in the mirror, and all the things he said in the paper, to realize what he said. Like I said in January, if there was one player I ever managed, I did more stuff for him than anybody else, on the field and off the field.

He did a lot of bad things last year. We lied for him. We protected him.

Guillen added that when controversy first broke between Oney and Jenks, he asked around the clubhouse for Jenkss number, and had no luck.

We dont miss himask 30 guys out there, he said. By the way, I was asking for his number to talk to him about it, and nobody has his number. You can tell what happened.

Guillen made several references to how calm he was this season, and how tranquil his camp has been. If the Jenks comments had come in 2009 or 2010, it would have been a different story.

Thank God he was talking about me, not about the club, Guillen said. If Bobby was talking about the club, I would be on TV everywhere, because I would rip his guts.

And by way of parting words, Guillen made reference to the fact that he might have to call Boston manager Terry Francona with some words of advice regarding Jenks, and shared the same with Jenks himself.

He has to worry about Boston and what he has to do for them, the tranquil skipper said. I bet you Terry Francona wont put up with the expletive we put up with Jenks here. I have Terrys number there to call him and say, make sure you tell Bobby to worry about the Boston Red Sox, and dont worry about what happened here or whatever.
Brett Ballantini is CSNChicago.com's White Sox Insider. Follow him @CSNChi_Beatnik on Twitter for up-to-the-minute White Sox information.

Rule 5 pick Dylan Covey takes advantage of showcase as White Sox down Indians

Rule 5 pick Dylan Covey takes advantage of showcase as White Sox down Indians

GOODYEAR, Ariz. — If Carlos Rodon starts on the disabled list as expected, the White Sox won't turn to any of their vaunted top prospects in the interim.

The news on Rodon has been encouraging so far as no structural damage has been discovered. Still, the White Sox won't clear Rodon until after he receives a second opinion on Monday. While the length of Rodon's absence won't be determined for several days, the White Sox are certain of one route they won't take — they don't want to disrupt the development of their young starting pitchers. Were a DL trip for Rodon necessary, the White Sox would likely select either Saturday's starter, Dylan Covey, or minor leaguer David Holmberg over their top prospects. Covey made a strong impression on Saturday afternoon with 3 2/3 scoreless innings pitched and the White Sox rallied for a 10-7 victory over the Cleveland Indians at Goodyear Ballpark.

"When you have an opportunity to stabilize action or movement for players it serves them better," White Sox manager Rick Renteria said. "They get a little more comfortable where they're at. They get comfortable with the staffs they're working with and the information they're gathering, being in a routine. It is a little disruptive going from team to team to team. It happens, but it's not the most conducive (to learning)."

The White Sox are all about development this season. Therefore, they have no plans to call upon Lucas Giolito, Reynaldo Lopez, Carson Fulmer or Michael Kopech unless they're A) ready and B) throwing every fifth day in Chicago. Renteria's comments Saturday reiterated Rick Hahn's earlier message, saying the club doesn't want to disrupt the development path.

That puts Covey, a Rule 5 draft pick in December, with a decent opportunity to make the club out of camp. Covey commanded the strike zone on Saturday only hours after Renteria said he hoped to see the young right-hander replicate an Arizona Fall League performance that initially warmed the White Sox up to him.

Aside from a two-out walk in his final inning, Covey was sharp the whole way. He allowed three hits and struck out three.

"My last couple of outings I was definitely feeling the stress," Covey said. "I was kind of pitching a little passive, pitching to not make a mistake instead of just going right after guys. So today and yesterday I just thought I'm just going to throw every pitch with conviction and see what happens. I got a lot of weak contact today and some swings and misses, so I felt good."

Covey threw 44 pitches, 27 for strikes. He potentially could stay in Arizona on Thursday and make an additional minor league start to build arm strength, which would get him to roughly 60 pitches before the regular seasons started.

The White Sox don't officially need a fifth starter until April 9 and they're off the following day. That break could allow the White Sox to start Covey as part of a bullpen day. Covey said he recently changed his mindset after lackluster results in relief this spring. The right-hander has a 6.94 ERA this spring in 11 2/3 innings.

"Obviously my last two outings out of the pen I wasn't getting crushed, but I just wasn't commanding the ball or commanding the count as much as I would like to be," Covey said. "The mistakes get hit a little harder when you're falling behind in the count. Today I wanted to have the mindset of attacking hitters, throwing everything down in the zone and going right after them, and it worked out."

The White Sox blasted six home runs in the contest, including a majestic, go-ahead grand slam by first baseman Danny Hayes in the top of the ninth inning. Hayes is hitting .351/.400/.595 with two homers and is tied for the team lead with 13 RBIs this spring. Jose Abreu, Nick Delmonico, Cody Asche, Everth Cabrera and Jacob May also homered for the White Sox. 

White Sox: Carlos Rodon feels reassured after clean MRI

carlos_rodon_white_sox.jpg
USA TODAY

White Sox: Carlos Rodon feels reassured after clean MRI

GLENDALE, Ariz. -- While he still has a second opinion ahead and is likely to start 2017 on the disabled list, a clean MRI has Carlos Rodon feeling relieved after a bizarre Thursday.

The White Sox pitcher described Saturday the strange experience he’s had the past few days dealing with soreness in his left bicep.

In the span of 48 hours, Rodon -- who will receive a second opinion on Monday -- went from feeling good enough after a midweek bullpen session to request that his first start be moved up to likely landing on the DL. As he prepares to navigate the rehab process, Rodon is more at ease after an MRI on Friday showed no structural damage.

“(Thursday) was a weird day for me,” Rodon said. “I wasn’t very happy with it. I got that checked out, trying to figure it out.

“I feel better. It’s reassuring.”

“(Your arm is) your tool. It’s concerning. But that’s why you go get those things checked out and make sure everything is ok. That’s what we did.”

[WHITE SOX TICKETS: Get your seats right here]

Rodon, who went 9-10 with a 4.04 ERA and 168 strikeouts in 165 innings in 2016, has one more checkup before he’s all clear. He travels to Los Angeles on Monday for an appointment with Dr. Neal ElAttrache. General manager Rick Hahn said Friday that a second opinion is “protocol.”

Though he has already been reassured -- the club’s diagnosis was he had no structural issues after a physical exam and then the clean MRI -- Rodon wouldn’t mind more confirmation. The left-hander said he hadn’t experienced the kind of tightness he suddenly felt in his biceps tendon before Thursday. He could lift his arm above his head, but Rodon said his stuff wasn’t the same. After he informed them, the White Sox determined to be cautious.

“It’s pretty tight up there,” Rodon said. “I’ve never really been that tight. I couldn’t really step on some balls I wanted to throw to get that arm going. So, I had to get it checked out. It didn’t feel too good.”

The White Sox already had Rodon on a delayed schedule where he needed to hit every mark to be ready for the regular season. They did so in hopes of helping him avoid the fatigue he experienced last summer and also reaching the 200-inning mark this season. Now it appears Rodon will begin the season on the DL, according to Hahn.

Though he’d like to start the season on schedule, Rodon wants to make sure he’s physically good to go.

“Just trying to be healthy man,” Rodon said. “You don’t want to go the start of the season and be behind the best guys. You are a tick down from the best guys in the world. It’s not fun pitching when you are not feeling too good. I want to be 100 percent when I’m out there. That gives our team the best chance of winning.”