Sox deal Quentin to Padres

626636.png

Sox deal Quentin to Padres

Well, I guess the Carlos Quentin talk picked up again.

Just days after it was reported talks between the Padres and White Sox about Quentin have soured, Chicago dealt the veteran outfielder to San Diego for two pitching prospects.

It seems a bit odd coming on the coattails of that news and announcing the deal on the last day of 2011, but 2012 can start anew for both franchises as well as the slugger.

The White Sox receive right-hander Simon Castro and left-hander Pedro Hernandez in return. Neither pitcher made Baseball America's Top 10 Padres prospect list, but Castro was the organization's third-ranked prospect just a year before.

Kenny Williams used the word "rebuilding" when discussing the offseason plans for his team and as WhiteSoxTalk's JJ Stankevitz mentioned earlier this week, it's hard to call it a rebuild if Quentin, the franchise's most expendable player, is not dealt.

The 29-year-old outfielder was set to become a free agent at the end of the 2012 season.

Castro, who will turn 24 April 9, split time last season between Double-A and Triple-A, posting a 5.63 ERA and 1.44 WHIP spanning 22 starts. In his six starts at Triple-A Tucson, however, the Dominican Republic native struggled badly to the tune of a 10.17 ERA and 2.14 WHIP. He was rated the 57th best prospect in the game by Baseball America prior to the 2010 season and the 58th best prospect before 2011 got under way.

Hernandez, 22, also struggled at Triple-A last season, posting a 6.00 ERA and 1.89 WHIP. But, he excelled in High-A and Double-A earlier in the season, making 24 appearances (14 starts). The Venezuelan native boasts a 8.0 K9 ratio throughout his minor league career, during which he has bounced around between being a starter and a reliever.

Quentin hails from San Diego and will add a middle-of-the-order presence to a team sorely lacking in that area since trading away Adrian Gonzalez before the start of the 2011 season.

Josh Byrnes, who took over as the Padres' GM after Jed Hoyer left for the Cubs, was in the same position in Arizona when he traded Quentin to the White Sox from the Diamondbacks.

Preview: Carlos Rodon makes season debut as White Sox face Yankees on CSN

Preview: Carlos Rodon makes season debut as White Sox face Yankees on CSN

Carlos Rodon makes his season debut as the White Sox take on the New York Yankees tonight, and you can catch all the action on CSN Plus and live streaming on CSNChicago.com and the NBC Sports App.

Coverage begins with White Sox Pregame Live at 6:30 p.m. Be sure to stick around after the final out to get analysis and player reaction on White Sox Postgame Live.

Tonight’s starting pitching matchup: Carlos Rodon (0-0, 0.00 ERA) vs. Masahiro Tanaka (5-7, 5.74 ERA)

Click here for more stats to make sure you’re ready for the action.

— Channel finder: Make sure you know where to watch

— Latest on the White Sox: All of the most recent news and notes.

Confident Jose Quintana gets 'back to who he's always been'

Confident Jose Quintana gets 'back to who he's always been'

The White Sox said all along they were confident Jose Quintana would rebound and now that he has no seems the least bit surprised.

Quintana provided yet another round of proof that he’s far removed from those May woes when he silenced the New York Yankees on Tuesday night. While the left-hander earned a no decision, he was rewarded when the White Sox rallied for a 4-3 victory over the Yankees at Guaranteed Rate Field. Quintana finished June with a 1.78 ERA.

“We have a very good relationship, very good communication,” teammate Jose Abreu said through an interpreter. “When (Quintana) was passing through that, the first two months, I let him know, just keep your confidence, don’t hesitate, do your job, keep working hard because we have confidence in you. Now he’s just showing us what he’s capable of doing and doing what he’s been doing his whole career. We’re glad he’s the same Jose Quintana he’s been the last couple of years.”

Quintana has gone from a period where many of his mistakes got hit to a spot where he’s been borderline untouchable. He limited the second-best offense in the American League to two hits and four walks in 6 1/3 scoreless innings on Tuesday. With good fastball command and a sharp curve, Quintana had New York hitters out of whack.

This is a much different pitcher than the one who was tagged by the Boston Red Sox on May 30, an outing after which he said he was embarrassed. Since losing to Boston, Quintana has lowered his ERA from 5.30 to 4.37. In that span, Quintana has allowed 21 hits and six earned runs with 12 walks and 30 strikeouts in 30 1/3 innings.

“Sometime bad games are going to happen,” Quintana said. “But when it happens, I go check the video to see if I’m doing something wrong and try to make adjustments. But I feel pretty good and I have my confidence high and for me I turn the page and focus on the next one.”

[VIVID SEATS: Get your White Sox tickets here]

The 2016 All-Star thrived in the few instances when he got into trouble on Tuesday.

He struck out Tyler Austin with two men in scoring position to end the fourth inning and erased a leadoff walk in the fifth with an Austin Romine double play. After Quintana surrendered a two-out double to Judge in the sixth inning, he got Sanchez to pop out to strand the tying run.

Quintana only threw strikes on 55 of 101 pitches on Tuesday. But, of those 55, 10 were swings and misses.

“It's just been him commanding the zone, attacking,” manager Rick Renteria said. “A lot more strikes. He still had some at-bats today where he got to 3-2, but then he'd execute, he'd finish and make a pitch that induced a very weak fly ball or groundballs. That's who he is, I mean you all have seen him like this before. For us it's just seeing him get back to who he's always been.”