Friday, Jan. 21, 2011
Posted 4:49 p.m. Updated 5:04 p.m.
By Brett Ballantini
In remarks made during the media session of SoxFest, Chicago White Sox starter Mark Buehrle indicated he would be willing to sign an extension with the team that would keep him in Chicago for at least two additional seasons.
It was weird this offseason, going from a rebuilding plan to me maybe being on the trading block, to getting Paul Konerko and A.J. Pierzynski back, adding Adam Dunn and retooling the bullpen, Buehrle said. I dont have any idea of whether my people have talked to the White Sox, or theyre talking with us, but Im always willing to listen.
Buehrle went 13-13 in 2010, with a 4.28 ERA. During the season he earned his 10-and-5 rights, which gives him the ability to veto any trade the White Sox wish to make that involves him. In 11 major league seaons all spent with the White Sox Buehrle is 148-110 with a 3.85 ERA and an ERA of 120.
He will complete his four-year, 56 million contract at the end of the 2011 season.
Williams: Stirred, but shaken
Chicago White Sox GM Ken Williams had earlier told Comcast SportsNet that his tombstone might read, One More Deal to Make, but the longtime team executive also admitted on Friday that hes typically nervous about his ballclub.
I should have a better feeling about how he's stacked the White Sox, the GM admitted before the official start of SoxFest on Friday. But I'm cautious, and nervous. I know about the mental and physical grind ahead.
Williams also remains bitter over the division titles he feels his team had the potential to win. While wryly unwilling to name names, this includes the 2010 clubs second-half fold to the one unmentionable team (to Williams), the Minnesota Twins.
A couple of parks are flying flags that should be ours, that belong to us, Williams said.
Nonetheless, Williams hopes his retooling of the club exemplified by the now-famous (and marketable) phrase all-in when referencing his attitude toward 2011 has excited his fan base much more than his poker face is willing to acknowledge.
I hope the fans are very excited, Williams said with honesty, and a wink toward the season, because we still have to find a way to pay for all of this.
Williams also tipped his hand early regarding some roster decisions, including a tacit endorsement of Brent Morel at third base. The GM read manager Ozzie Guillens comments yesterday about wishing to keep competition open and did not openly endorse a third baseman, but did say his mind was made up about who should play there and judging by his excitement over Morel last September, all signs point to the rookie getting his vote.
READ: Ozzie's early lineup thoughts
As for two other young players, Dayan Viciedo and Jordan Danks, Williams was far from muted. He claimed that Dankss future was far too bright to make the White Sox roster as a fourth or fifth outfielder in 2011.
Williams also confirmed that Viciedo would be moving to the outfield, remarking again that the young player has the potential to be very special and that we need to find a place for him to play. The GM wouldnt rule out Viciedo as a future infielder, but definitely endorsed his current move to the outfield, making it imaginable that the young slugger could fill a hybrid role of corner outfielderDHcorner infielder that could see him playing a couple of games a week in 2011.
Brett Ballantini is CSNChicago.coms White Sox Insider. Follow him @CSNChi_Beatnik on Twitter for up-to-the-minute White Sox information.