White Sox don't expect much at Rule 5 draft

785416.png

White Sox don't expect much at Rule 5 draft

NASHVILLE, Tenn. -- The White Sox have one potential option for Thursday mornings Rule 5 draft, but not much else.

White Sox general manager Rick Hahn said he believes rule changes implemented with the last Collective Bargaining Agreement, which allows teams more control over their prospects, limits the crop of potential draftees. Hahns in favor of the change but believes there wont be much talent on the board by the time the White Sox are on the clock Thursday.

Qualified players who are not protected on teams 40-man roster are eligible to be selected by other clubs in the Rule 5 draft for 50,000. Players who were 18 or younger when they were signed and have been in an organization for five seasons or players 19 or older with four seasons must be protected or are exposed to the Rule 5 draft.

Its a different kind of draft now, Hahn said. Its not as fertile as it was before the added protection, which Im fine with. As an organization that has benefitted from being able to have an extra year of development for a player before we have to make that decision to protect them, Id rather have a better chance to get to know my own and protect the right guys than be able to potentially steal a diamond in the rough for 50,000 from another club. Were talking through one thing and well see if that happens.

As for their own?

Last month, the White Sox added five players to their 40-man roster and feel as if they have protected everyone who needs it. One team source said left-handed reliever Daniel Moskos -- the fourth overall pick of the 2007 draft by the Pittsburgh Pirates -- could be selected. Moskos struck out 32 batters in 34 13 innings at Triple-A last season.

You never know what tickles someone elses fancy but obviously a big part of a decision to put a guy on the 40 is the expectation he would get picked if you didnt not protect him, Hahn said. So well see. A year ago at this time we had a pretty decent sense that Terry Doyle was going to get selected by Minnesota, which he did, and ultimately got returned. This year I dont have that exact sense. Ive heard a couple of rumored names but well see.

A.J. Pierzynski retires, joins FOX as full-time analyst

A.J. Pierzynski retires, joins FOX as full-time analyst

Former White Sox catcher A.J. Pierzynski officially retired from MLB on Tuesday.

Pierzynski will join FOX as a full-time analyst, according to a press release from FOX Sports.

"We love having A.J. on the FOX Sports team," Fox Sports President John Entz said. "He’s confident in his opinions and insight and he doesn’t hold back or shy away from topics he feels strongly about. Fans want an honest approach to what’s happening on the field, in the locker room and away from the game, and A.J. gives you just that, and has a lot of fun doing it."

[WHITE SOX TICKETS: Get your seats right here]

Pierzynski will serve as both a color commentator and studio analyst for FOX, while also making regular appearances on FS1's MLB Whiparound. Pierzynski previously worked with FOX during the 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2015 MLB postseasons.

"With Opening Day right around the corner, this is always a great time of year," Pierzynski said in a statement from FOX Sports. "I’m really looking forward to what should be a very exciting MLB season and to being a part of the FOX Sports team again."

Pierzynski spent 19 years in MLB with the Minnesota Twins (1998-03), San Francisco Giants (2004), White Sox (2005-12), Texas Rangers (2013), Boston Red Sox (2014), St. Louis Cardinals (2014) and Atlanta Braves (2015-16). Pierzynski won a World Series ring with the White Sox in 2005. The 40-year-old Pierzynski had a career major-league slash line of .280/.319/.420 with 188 home runs and 909 RBI.

Pierzynski joins former MLB players Alex Rodriguez and Nick Swisher, who both recently signed deals with FOX.

Carlos Rodon headed to the disabled list, will start throwing program

Carlos Rodon headed to the disabled list, will start throwing program

GLENDALE, Ariz. — Carlos Rodon will begin a two-week throwing program after a second opinion revealed no structural damage.

The White Sox pitcher is back in camp on Tuesday morning after he traveled to Los Angeles for a follow up appointment on Monday. That visit yet again cleared Rodon of any major injury, though he has been diagnosed as having bursitis (inflammation) in his left bicep tendon. Rodon is expected to start the season on the 10-day disabled list.

"I had a good day (Monday), figured some stuff out and are going with the plan we've got now," Rodon said. "(The program is) based on how I feel, how I push it. I'll try to take it slow, and if everything feels good, I want to be back with these guys as soon as I can."

Rodon was scratched from Friday's start and has undergone a slew of tests since.

General manager Rick Hahn said last week that odds were Rodon would start the season on the disabled list. Manager Rick Renteria hinted the same on Monday when he said the White Sox would be cautious with the No. 3 overall pick of the 2014 draft even if the second opinion revealed no significant damage.

Rodon wasn't certain but thinks he may stay behind in Arizona for extended spring training. 

"It's almost like you have to re-start the process a little bit," Renteria said. "It would be foolish to try to anticipate or push him into any direction without first of all ultimately having whatever the diagnosis is or the validation or whatever it might be of the second opinion. Once we get that, we'll know hopefully tomorrow how we can ultimately proceed. I wouldn't think we’d try to ramp him up quickly."