Former local high school basketball star Jonathan Mills was shot to death on Monday in North Lawndale, a source confirmed to CSN.
A Class 2A state champion and city champion who played high school ball at North Lawndale and college basketball at Southern Miss, Mills was shot multiple times in the 4100 block of West Roosevelt at 1:27 p.m., police told the Chicago Sun-Times.
The 26-year-old Mills was pronounced dead at the scene. He is survived by two daughters.
Mills became a West Side legend in Chicago basketball circles as one of the hardest-working rebounders the city has seen in the last decade. Taking North Lawndale to two state semifinals and winning a Class 2A state championship in 2008, the 6-foot-5 lefty wasn't particularly skilled as an undersized forward, but he was relentless in his pursuit of the ball and a rugged defender.
In his first varsity season at North Lawndale as a junior, Mills averaged 16.8 points and 13.7 rebounds per game as he led the Phoenix in rebounding 31 of 33 games during a state title run. In a Class 2A sectional title game against Englewood, Mills had a legendary performance as he had 22 points and 23 rebounds in a two-point win.
During his senior season, Mills averaged 14 points and 13 rebounds per game in helping the Phoenix win the school's first city championship. Beating Hyde Park in overtime for the city title, Mills had 13 points and 23 rebounds in a 54-51 win as he secured the game-clinching rebound off of teammate Terry Johnson's missed free throw.
After playing two years of junior college ball at Eastern Utah, Mills played his final two seasons of college basketball at Southern Miss in Conference USA. Mills earned third-team All-Conference USA honors as a junior while also making the All-Defensive Team as he averaged 9.5 points and 6.5 rebounds per game. During his senior year, Mills was once again on the Conference USA All-Defensive Team as he put up 9.3 points and 8.0 rebounds per game.
On Monday, Twitter was filled with memories of Mills from coaches, players and reporters that watched him play.
I can't believe My guy Jonathan Mills was shot n killed today! He was the TOUGHEST kid I ever coached! I love you bro! Prayers 4 family! RIP— Donnie Tyndall (@DonnieTyndall) July 25, 2016
My lil bro/Former @USMGoldenEagles men's basketball player-Jonathan Mills has been killed crazy cold world we live in rip love yu lil bro— Sherron Collins (@SHERRONCOLLINS4) July 25, 2016
It's sad when you look up to a guy when you was growing up that's no longer here R.I.P JMills👼🏽👼🏽🙏🏼 https://t.co/GSLfpvbnea— Kyle Davis (@KD_MP3) July 25, 2016
This is so sad. Jonathan Mills was one of my favorite high school players to cover. https://t.co/H7f95T6Zfv— Scott Powers (@ByScottPowers) July 25, 2016
Jonathan Mills was an incredibly tough player, one of the best rebounders I've ever covered. Had a big personality, wicked sense of humor— Michael O'Brien (@michaelsobrien) July 25, 2016
Jon Mills came straight from prom, slept in a white tux in the airport & outplayed Derrick Favors as a 6-5 forward. pic.twitter.com/ms6gN5aklo— Scott Phillips (@phillipshoops) July 25, 2016
Beginning this scholastic year, CSN Chicago and the Iowa High School Sports Network will team up to bring viewers in-depth coverage of the Iowa High School Athletic Association's (IHSAA) State Championship Tournaments.
The partnership gives audiences access to over 85 hours of live football, wrestling and basketball coverage.
All IHSAA events will be broadcasted in high definition and available via live stream at csnchicago.com.
The 2016-2017 season will kickoff on Aug. 25 with the 4th annual Channel Seed Ag Bowl between the Northeast Rebels and Central Dewitt Sabers.
Check out the full broadcast schedule here.
IHSSN to Produce and Provide Live coverage for three of the Iowa High School Athletic Association’s (IHSSA) State Championship Tournaments: Football, Wrestling, Basketball
CSN Chicago to Televise & Live Stream (via CSNChicago.com & IHSSN.com) 33 Iowa High School State Championship Events, which totals over 85 hours of exciting LIVE tournament action featuring -- LIVE COVERAGE of 12 semi-final games and 6 final games of IHSAA Championship Football -- LIVE COVERAGE of the Class 1A, 2A and 3A semi-finals and finals of IHSAA Individual Championship Wrestling -- and LIVE COVERAGE for 8 semi-final games and 4 final games of IHSAA Championship Basketball!
CSN’s 2016-2017 IHSSN season begins with “bonus coverage” of the “4th Annual Channel Seed Ag Bowl,” which features the
Northeast Rebels squaring off with the Central DeWitt Sabers at Birney Field in DeWitt, Iowa. Game time is 7:00pm, Thursday, August 25th on CSN+
Chicago, IL (July 25, 2016) -- Comcast SportsNet Chicago, the television and digital home for the most in-depth coverage of the local and regional preps sports scene, along with the Iowa High School Sports Network (IHSSN), have announced a long-term partnership agreement making the regional sports network the official home for 33 Iowa High School Athletic Association (IHSAA) Championship events. This equates to over 85 LIVE hours of dedicated Iowa preps sports championship coverage per scholastic year. All events will also be presented in a high definition format.
The announcement was made by Phil Bedella, VP/GM of Comcast SportsNet Chicago, Ken Krogman, Owner/President of the IHSSN and Brett Nanninga, Associate Executive Director of the IHSAA.
Beginning this scholastic year (2016-17), Comcast SportsNet will be the exclusive television home for the following IHSAA Championship events (all events to also be live streamed via CSNChicago.com to authenticated Comcast SportsNet Chicago subscribers; IHSSN.com will provide direct links to live streamed events on CSN Chicago digital platforms):
IHSAA Football Championships (18 games)
- LIVE - Twelve playoff semifinal match-ups leading up to the state championships (November 10-12)
- LIVE - Six (8-Player & Class A through 4A) state championship games (November 17-18)
- BONUS GAME NOTE: “4th Annual Channel Seed Ag Bowl” featuring Northeast Rebels at Central Dewitt Sabers (Thu, August 25 at 7pm on CSN+)
IHSAA Individual Wrestling Championships (3 events)
- LIVE - Class 1A/2A & 3A semifinals (February 17, 2017)
- LIVE - Class 1A-3A championships (February 18, 2017)
IHSAA Basketball Championships (12 games)
- LIVE - Eight playoff semifinal match-ups leading up to the state championships (March 9-10, 2017)
- LIVE - Four (Class 1A-4A) state championship games (March 10-11, 2017)
- Exact air dates/times/channel locations for all upcoming IHSSA Championship events appear at the end of this release. Schedule subject to change.
- Viewers are also urged to visit CSNChicago.com’s “Channel Finder” page where they can plug in their zip code and find their local provider: http://www.csnchicago.com/channel-finder
“This is a significant moment not only for our network, but also for our viewers in Iowa,” said Bedella. “With over 85 live hours of football, basketball, and wrestling championship coverage per scholastic year, fans will be able to watch these gifted student-athletes in HD from both a TV and live streaming standpoint. CSN is proud to deliver these live IHSAA championship events to all of our cable and telco partners in the state of Iowa and, for the first time, these events will now be fully distributed through DIRECTV and DISH Network. On behalf of Comcast SportsNet I would like to thank Ken Krogman from the Iowa High School Sports Network, along with the IHSAA’s Brett Nanninga and his team, for their tremendous assistance in solidifying this new partnership.”
“The IHSSN has worked with Comcast SportsNet in the past and have been impressed with all facets of their organization,” added Krogman. “We are excited to now have a more permanent partnership not only because of the expanded coverage we will enjoy through their satellite distribution, but also their commitment to bring all of our events to our viewers in high definition. We look forward to working with them and using their expertise to assist us to continue bringing the Iowa High School State Championships to all of Iowa and beyond”.
“On behalf of the IHSAA and our customer base throughout the state of Iowa and across the nation, I’d like to thank Comcast SportsNet for their on-air and digital distribution of the IHSAA High School State Championship Events,” said Nanninga. “The comprehensive (digital HD) coverage that Comcast SportsNet offers to its affiliates is second to none in the high school market. The IHSAA is extremely proud of the service/coverage that Comcast SportsNet offers the families and friends of Iowa high school student/athletes. Together - Comcast SportsNet, the IHSSN, and the IHSAA - we have made it happen.”
2016-17 IHSAA EVENTS ON COMCAST SPORTSNET
(CSN & CSN+ DESIGNATIONS TO BE DETERMINED AT A LATER DATE; SCHEDULE SUBJECT TO CHANGE)
DATE TIME GAME CSN
- Thu, Aug 25 7:00 pm AG Bowl: Northeast vs Central Dewitt LIVE CSN+
- Thu, Nov 10 9:00 am Football: 8 Player Semifinal #1 LIVE
- Thu, Nov 10 12:00 pm Football: 8 Player Semifinal #2 LIVE
- Thu, Nov 10 5:30 pm Football: Class 3A Semifinal #1 LIVE
- Thu, Nov 10 8:00 pm Football: Class 3A Semifinal #2 LIVE
- Fri, Nov 11 10:00 am Football: Class A Semifinal #1 LIVE
- Fri, Nov 11 1:00 pm Football: Class A Semifinal #2 LIVE
- Fri, Nov 11 4:00 pm Football: Class 4A Semifinal #1 LIVE
- Fri, Nov 11 7:00 pm Football: Class 4A Semifinal #2 LIVE
- Sat, Nov 12 10:00 am Football: Class 1A Semifinal #1 LIVE
- Sat, Nov 12 1:00 pm Football: Class 1A Semifinal #2 LIVE
- Sat, Nov 12 4:00 pm Football: Class 2A Semifinal #1 LIVE
- Sat, Nov 12 7:00 pm Football: Class 2A Semifinal #2 LIVE
- Thu, Nov 17 10:00 am Football: 8 Player Championship LIVE
- Thu, Nov 17 1:30 pm Football: Class A Championship LIVE
- Thu, Nov 17 7:00 pm Football: Class 3A Championship LIVE
- Fri, Nov 18 11:00 am Football: Class 1A Championship LIVE
- Fri, Nov 18 2:00 pm Football: Class 2A Championship LIVE
- Fri, Nov 18 7:00 pm Football: Class 4A Championship LIVE
- Fri, Feb 17 3:30 pm Wrestling: Class 3A Semifinals LIVE
- Fri, Feb 17 7:30 pm Wrestling: Class 1A & 2A Semifinals LIVE
- Sat, Feb 18 6:00 pm Wrestling: Class 1A/2A/3A Finals LIVE
- Thu, Mar 9 10:30 am Basketball: Class 1A Semifinal #1 LIVE
- Thu, Mar 9 12:15 pm Basketball: Class 1A Semifinal #2 LIVE
- Thu, Mar 9 2:00 pm Basketball: Class 2A Semifinal #1 LIVE
- Thu, Mar 9 3:45 pm Basketball: Class 2A Semifinal #2 LIVE
- Thu, Mar 9 6:30 pm Basketball: Class 3A Semifinal #1 LIVE
- Thu, Mar 9 8:15 pm Basketball: Class 3A Semifinal #2 LIVE
- Fri, Mar 10 1:30 pm Basketball: Class 4A Semifinal #1 LIVE CSN+
- Fri, Mar 10 3:15 pm Basketball: Class 4A Semifinal #2 LIVE CSN+
- Fri, Mar 10 6:00 pm Basketball: Class 1A Championship LIVE CSN+
- Fri, Mar 10 8:00 pm Basketball: Class 2A Championship LIVE CSN+
- Sat, Mar 11 6:00 pm Basketball: Class 3A Championship LIVE CSN+
- Sat, Mar 11 8:00 pm Basketball: Class 4A Championship LIVE CSN+
All Times Central Time