Cubs: Veras hopes to start over after time on the disabled list

Cubs: Veras hopes to start over after time on the disabled list
April 26, 2014, 7:45 pm
Share This Post

MILWAUKEE – Jose Veras could get a chance to clear his head by going on the disabled list with an oblique injury. But nothing’s gone according to plan since the Cubs signed him to be their closer.

“Yeah, maybe, who knows?” Veras said Saturday at Miller Park. “But at the same time, I don’t want to be in the position that I can’t help the team win ballgames. I want to help the team win ballgames. That’s why they brought me here.

“Even though I’m struggling right now, it’s early in the season, five or six outings. I’m used to throwing 70 outings every year. So hopefully when I come back, I can just start over with a clear mind."

[MORE: Garza says he ran out of hope pitching for the Cubs]

Veras (15.88 ERA) said the discomfort had been building the last few days. The Cubs called it a left oblique strain and called up reliever Brian Schlitter from Triple-A Iowa. Manager Rick Renteria telegraphed the DL move during Friday’s pregame media session, mentioning that Veras has been feeling sore.

The Cubs had hoped Veras could be a sign-and-flip guy, giving him the ninth inning and a one-year, $4 million deal. He lost the closer’s job 10 games into the season. In 5.2 innings, he’s given up 10 walks and hit three batters.

“You give yourself maybe a little distance from (it),” Renteria said. “He obviously feels he hasn’t done what he should be doing. Maybe it will clear his mind a little bit and hopefully he gets better physically and we can move forward."