Cutler to have ribs re-examined Tuesday after vicious sack

922069.png

Cutler to have ribs re-examined Tuesday after vicious sack

This was part of the grand plan all offseason when the Bears spent heavily for former Washington and Oakland starting quarterback Jason Campbell. They just hoped theyd never need him.
 
But quarterback Jay Cutler was run down and sacked by Detroit defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh in the second quarter. He stayed down, head on the turf for some minutes before running off the field under his own power.
 
He was back after a play run by Campbell but lasted only one more series before going into the locker room for evaluation of what clearly was a painful blow to his ribs.
 
I feel all right now, he said after the game but anticipating soreness to come. I think later in the week is going to be a little bit difficult.
 
Coach Lovie Smith, who said Cutler would have further tests and examinations done on Tuesday, did not call Suhs hit dirty although one angle appeared to show Suh pulling Cutlers arm on the way down to allow him a better path to pile-drive Cutler into the turf.
 
It was simply a football play, said Suh, who went over later while Cutler was still down to check in with him. I couldnt control my momentum, especially at high speed.
 
Painful times
 
Cutler said he was wearing a flak jacket but that didnt prevent the effects of Suhs 300-plus pounds landing squarely on top of him.
 
Cutlers time in Chicago has been anything but pain-free. He missed his only NFL game in 2010 after suffering a concussion in a nine-sack first half against the New York Giants.
 
His NFC Championship game that season ended with a knee injury before halftime. Last year the Bears were 7-3 when Cutler fractured his right wrist on a tackle against the San Diego Chargers.
 
The subsequent performances of backup Caleb Hanie sent the Bears into free agency for Campbell, who signed for one year.
 
Enter Campbell
 
Campbell came in for the one snap after Cutlers injury, then finished out the first half. He completed his only pass of the game, to Matt Forte, the first pass he as thrown in a game since last October when he suffered a broken collarbone in a game against the Cleveland Browns.
 
It felt good to get in for a little bit, let everybody know Im still around, Campbell said, laughing. I warmed up after halftime but he felt like he could go so I just kept loose on the sidelines in case I was needed. Its little different role but it felt good to contribute.
 
One contribution was a five-yard gain on his first snap, being flushed from the pocket and taking off in his best impersonation of Robert Griffin III.
 
I cut out like I was trying to get 100 yards rushing, he said. I was just trying to pick up positive yards. And I was thinking maybe go for about 40 yards, you know, just to get my legs loosened up.

Cutler was grabbed awkwardly and came down hard on his right arm.

He was in obvious pain before departing for one play at first and then missing the end of the second quarter.

Sights and Sounds from Cubs visit to Donald Trump's White House

Sights and Sounds from Cubs visit to Donald Trump's White House

The 45th President of the United States Donald Trump welcomed the 2016 World Series champion Cubs to The White House on Wednesday afternoon.

While attendance was optional due to the Cubs already holding a formal ceremony with former President Barack Obama last January, several Cubs players and manager Joe Maddon attended Wednesday's gathering. 

Check out some of the sights and sounds from the Cubs busy day in D.C.

Vice President Mike Pence gets his own Cubs jersey.

Trump wants to know who the best hitter on the Cubs is so he can pick them up for his fantasy baseball team (we made up that last part).

Cleveland Cavaliers owner Dan Gilbert crashes the party.

The Cubs display a card displaying No. 45 for President Trump.

Who is the Cubs owner in this picture?

Who is Victor Caratini? Breaking down the Cubs' new catcher

Who is Victor Caratini? Breaking down the Cubs' new catcher

Miguel Montero is out and Victor Caratini is in.

The Cubs made a shakeup at catcher Wednesday and will have to forge the last half of the 2017 season without the presence of veteran Montero, who has 1,149 MLB games under his belt and was hitting .286 with an .805 OPS this year.

But Montero talked his way out of town and Caratini is the immediate choice for a replacement behind starting backstop Willson Contreras.

[Where it all went wrong with Miguel Montero and the Cubs]

Caratini is a 23-year-old switch-hitter whom the Cubs acquired from the Atlanta Braves in 2014 as part of the Emilio Bonifacio/James Russell deadline deal. The Braves initially selected Caratini in the second round of the 2013 MLB Draft out of Miami-Dade College.

The Puerto Rican native has mostly played catcher (297 games) in his minor-league career, but has also seen time at first base (76 games) and third base (57 games). 

Caratini got his first taste of big-league spring training action this season, impressing with a .379 average and 1.175 OPS in 16 games (29 at-bats).

He is enjoying the best offensive season of his career in Triple-A Iowa, hitting .343 with a .384 on-base percentage and .923 OPS.

Caratini has already set a career high with eight home runs while clubbing 20 doubles and driving in 54 runs in 68 games. He also has only 40 strikeouts in 245 at-bats.

The Cubs named Caratini the organization's minor league player of the month in May after he drove in 17 runs in 24 games while hitting .366 with a .573 slugging percentage.

Caratini also should help the Cubs running game — an area where Montero was 0-for-31 in throwing out baserunners. Caratini has nabbed 28 percent of would-be basestealers in Iowa, a mark that is directly even with the MLB average.

Contreras is throwing out 34 percent of would-be basestealers in 2017.

Caratini figures to be the short-term answer for the Cubs at catcher given the organzation doesn't have many other options. Kyle Schwarber has not been a viable option behind the plate after recovering from major knee surgery that sapped almost his entire 2016 season. Taylor Davis — a 27-year-old catcher/infielder — is currently on the disabled list and has yet to make his MLB debut.