Te'o admits to lying about Kekua after Dec. 6 call

988011.png

Te'o admits to lying about Kekua after Dec. 6 call

In an interview with ABC's Katie Couric that will air Thursday, ex-Notre Dame linebacker Manti Te'o elaborated on his thought process after Dec. 6 -- when he received a call from a person who said she was Lennay Kekua, and had to fake her own death to evade drug dealers.
Multiple times after receiving that call, Te'o spoke to the press about Kekua as being dead. He told Couric: "I get a phone call on Dec. 6, saying that she's alive, and then I'm going be put on national TV two days later. And to ask me about the same question. You know, what would you do?"
Te'o admitted to lying to the press about her death, and -- as he did when interviewed by ESPN's Jeremy Schapp -- vehemently denied being a part of the hoax.
A few more important details from the Te'o case came to light Wednesday beyond the Couric interview, specifically involving a few paper trails in the case. First, ESPN reported Te'o showed Schapp his phone records from the time of Kekua's purported car accident (April 28) through her death on Sept. 12. Those records have been a key to Te'o's side of the story -- the investigation commissioned by Notre Dame did not ask for them, oddly enough -- although ESPN was unable to independently verify the records, per its report.
Secondly, the New York Daily News obtained Te'o's 1-800-FLOWERS receipt for the white roses he ordered for Kekua's funeral. A message from Te'o on the receipt read: "My dearest Lennay, although our time together was brief, I feel like Ive known you all of my life. Till we meet again. I love you, Manti.
Perhaps more details about this story can be gleaned from Te'o's interview with Couric, which also included his parents.
"People can speculate about what they think he is. I've known him 21 years of his life. And he's not a liar. He's a kid," Te'o's father, Brian, said in the interview.
Earlier this week, it was reported the Tuiasosopo family may be convening to discuss a public statement, although that has yet to happen.
UPDATE: Phone records were released this afternoon that showed between May 11 and Sept. 12 -- the supposed time Kekua was in the hospital -- Te'o made more than 1,000 phone calls to a 611 area code number, where Kekua lived. 110 of those calls lasted for more than 60 minutes, which would help the verification of Te'o's story that he would stay on the phone with Kekua through the night while she was supposedly in the hospital.
Te'o's interview with Couric airs at 3 p.m. Thursday on ABC.

DePaul basketball program on the rise after landing 5-star recruit Tyger Campbell

tyger-campbell-depaul-slide-photo.png
AP

DePaul basketball program on the rise after landing 5-star recruit Tyger Campbell

DePaul hoops received a huge boost this week as five-star recruit Tyger Campbell committed to the university.

The elite point guard recruit out of La Lumiere, will join the Class of 2018, choosing DePaul over schools like Michigan State, Illinois and Memphis.

"I like DePaul and honestly my coach (Shane Heirman) just went there and we have a great connection and he's always had my back," Campbell told Scout.com. "I like [DePaul] coach Dave Leitao, too. I like his program and he's an intelligent guy.

"Mainly what I like about the school is I want to help bring it back. I love Chicago; it's a great city. I want to bring the city a college back to cheer for."

Campbell also said the Blue Demons' new Wintrust Arena at McCormick Place Event Center, which is slated to open this fall, is a big draw for him.

The Blue Demons are a combined 18-45 the last two seasons and hasven't had a winning season since 2006-07 when they went 20-14 and made the NIT Quarterfinals.

The program last made the NCAA Tournament in 2003-04 during Leitao's first stint as the team's head coach.

Northern Illinois adds running back Fotis Kokosioulis

niu.jpg
USA TODAY

Northern Illinois adds running back Fotis Kokosioulis

Northern Illinois University added it's fourth known verbal commitment today in its growing Class of 2018.

Maine South junior running back Fotis Kokosioulis (5-foot-8, 165 pounds) added an offer from the Huskies on Tuesday after making a spring practice visit, and today he gave head coach Rod Carey his verbal commitment.

"I chose NIU because it's been a school that I've liked for awhile now," Kokosioulis said moments ago. "I like the facilities at NIU, the stadium and everything else they have to offer. I also really like all the coaches at NIU. I felt that even if I got more offers I would've still chose NIU over other schools. I know that there are bigger school and programs but I feel that I just fit in well at NIU, so I committed."

Kokosioulis, who was an All-State performer for the Class 8A state champion Maine South Hawks in 2016, is now the fourth known in-state verbal commitment for Rod Carey and the Huskies and the fifth known commitment overall. Kokosioulis joins Andrew defensive end Mike DeHaan, Plainfield East defensive end Jack Sullivan and Danville tight end Julian Pearl in the NIU Huskies in-state Class of 2018.