Nose guard Louis Nix remains questionable for Notre Dame's game against Navy Saturday in South Bend, coach Brian Kelly said Tuesday.
Nix missed Notre Dame's 45-10 win over Air Force with knee tendinitis and facing another option offense in Navy means the Irish will continue to be careful with their 357-pound man in the middle.
Kelly was asked if he would play Nix if Notre Dame were playing a more traditional offense, and he hinted Nix would have a better shot of playing against a team like Stanford.
"I think you can't go into playing the option team with hesitation or doubt," Kelly said. But when you're playing Stanford and you're firing off the ball and it's just a matter of beating the guy over you, there's less hesitation."
Other Notre Dame injury notes:
- Linebacker Ishaq Williams (knee) won't play Saturday against Navy, Kelly said. Williams started against Air Force and figured to play a key role in defending the option, but was lost early into the game.
- Defensive end Sheldon Day (ankle) is also probable, and had an MRI on his ankle that showed only a bone bruise. "We wanted to rule out any further high ankle damage to the ligaments," Kelly said. "… So it was totally different. We feel pretty good about that."
- Left guard Chris Watt (knee) is probable, while right tackle Ronnie Stanley ("banged up a little bit," Kelly evaluated on Sunday) will practice and appears on track to play Saturday.
- Safety Elijah Shumate (hamstring) will practice this week, and his role in Saturday's game will be determined later in the week.
- Wide receiver DaVaris Daniels (hip flexor) is good to play on Saturday, Kelly said.