Over the weekend at the NFL Scouting Combine in Indianapolis, former Notre Dame linebacker Prince Shembo revealed to reporters that he was the player investigated in 2010 for the alleged sexual battery of Lizzy Seeburg, a St. Mary's College student who committed suicide 10 days after the alleged incident.
Shembo proclaimed his innocence and said NFL teams have asked him about what happened.
"I didn't do anything," Shembo told ESPN.com. "I'm, pretty much, I'm the one who ended it and pretty much told the girl that we should stop, that we shouldn't be doing this and that's what happened. So, I don't know."
After previously declining comment to media outlets following Shembo's comments, Seeburg's father, Tom, spoke with David Kaplan and David Haugh on the "Kap and Haugh Show" on 87.7-FM Tuesday morning.
"We always knew who it was," Seeburg said. "I guess it was a little bit of a surprise -- maybe it shouldn't have been -- now that he needed a job in the profession that he's in, I guess it made sense that he would be asked questions about this.
"…Maybe this just adds texture to the story as to who this guy is. I think it certainly opens up a lot of questions for him, maybe for Notre Dame. I think those are probably for others to ask and for them to answer.
"We never sought him out specifically or any specific -- if you will -- ends to what happens to him. We just sought truth in this process. For us, it was never about him personally. It was about really getting to the truth. Just the revelation of who he is adds a layer of context and texture to this story."
Shembo wasn't interviewed by Notre Dame police until 15 days after Seeburg's death, according to reports. He wasn't charged with a crime, though that's something that remains upsetting to Seeburg's father.
"You can quickly gather forensic evidence to try to determine what happened there or you can let it linger -- like they did -- and let evidence spoil and then, frankly, when you talk about he was never charged with a crime, that is a major distraction in this and it was used as a defensive shield for him in flipping this case to the D.A., when there was absolutely no chance of any criminal proceedings," Seeburg said. "We knew it, ND knew it, the D.A. knew it.
"You're looking at the sole witness to this, with the victim being dead and her statement being inadmissible and you're going to convince 12 jurors beyond a reasonable doubt with a D.A. that has a $3 million annual budget, it's not going to happen. It never was going to happen. But him claiming and hitting the headlines of 'no charges filed,' it gave him an extra shield and gave Notre Dame some great things to pivot off of in saying 'hey, there's nothing to see here.'"
Notre Dame officials had no further comment Tuesday.