Story of Te'o girlfriend hoax may never come to definitive end

985499.png

Story of Te'o girlfriend hoax may never come to definitive end

Updated: Jan. 20, 10:40 a.m.

It's been three days since Deadspin first reported Manti Te'o's girlfriend, Lennay Kekua, was nothing more than the product of an elaborate hoax. Since then, we've heard from Notre Dame, those close to Te'o, those close to Ronaiah Tuiasosopo -- the man behind Kekua's persona -- and, late Friday night, Te'o himself.

There's much more information on the table than there was Wednesday. But there's still a large gray area inside this story, and it likely won't go away.

Te'o's interview with Jeremy Schapp Friday answered a few questions. It brought to light more aspects of the saga that require an explanation -- for example, why did the direct messages that purportedly show Tuiasosopo confessing to Te'o about the hoax initially show a message that's 217 characters long (Twitter's limit is 140 characters)? ESPN has since updated the image file to show messages that fit Twitter's limit.

Furthermore, why didn't the private firm Notre Dame hired extensively interview Te'o as part of its investigation? Pro Football Talk's Mike Florio provides reasoning why the investigation wouldn't talk to the perpetrators of the Kekua hoax, but that doesn't explain why Te'o wasn't directly part of the inquiry.

But enough with the questions, since chances are, they won't be answered. Schapp said Friday it appeared as if Te'o had unburdened himself with the interview, and there's probably a decent chance he won't speak on the matter again.

Related: Te'o breaks silence, but only raises more questions

Te'o may be bombarded by questions about it at the NFL combine, or after he's hitched with a pro team in late April. But he could easily say he doesn't want to discuss the topic, and no amount of prying could get anymore information out of him if he's personally moved on from the Kekua hoax.

But he'll have to field plenty of questions in private as NFL teams vet him as a potential draft pick. Te'o hardly is done with the questioning, but he may be done with it in the public eye.

Notre Dame, too, won't speak on the matter anymore. Brian Kelly may be asked about it at his next press conference -- which, right now, looks like Feb. 6 for national signing day -- and perhaps defensive coordinator Bob Diaco will field a question or two down the road as well.

It doesn't sound as if Tuiasosopo will discuss it anytime soon, either. Perhaps hearing from the person who pretended to be Kekua would advance the story, but that person hasn't come forward yet.

Most of those secondhand accounts, save the friend of Tuiasosopo's cited by Deadspin as being "80 percent" sure Te'o was in on the hoax, have come out in support of the Notre Dame linebacker. Plenty of friends and teammates have told various media outlets Te'o was duped and had no hand in the hoax, and a friend of Tuiasosopo's told ESPN.com Te'o wasn't involved as well.

In fact, right as this article was published, ESPN.com ran a story showing a Facebook correspondence Te'o had with a friend showing the linebacker thought Kekua may be a "prank" in 2010.

Related: Samardzija, Te'o: The spotlight comes with the territory

When the Deadspin story broke Wednesday, the biggest question regarded how much Te'o knew. There's now enough evidence in Te'o's favor that would indicate he indeed was duped, although it's impossible to say that with 100 percent certainty. It's logical to believe Te'o wasn't involved, but it's also not completely illogical to continue searching for evidence that he was in on it.

A definitive ending to this story would certainly be satisfying. Cliffhangers, inevitably, keep us coming back for more, and gray areas foster speculation.

Alabama left no doubt they were the best team in college football on Jan. 7. This story won't have an ending as convincing as a 42-14 final score.

For such a bizarre, fascinating tale that managed to wrestle away the national spotlight for a few days, that's not the endgame we're looking for. But it's the one we'll likely get.

Notre Dame officially hires Clark Lea as linebackers coach

Notre Dame officially hires Clark Lea as linebackers coach

Mike Elko's first coaching staff as Notre Dame defensive coordinator is beginning to take shape, with the Irish announcing Thursday the hiring of Clark Lea as linebackers coach. 

Lea spent 2016 as Wake Forest's linebackers coach -- under Elko -- and previously held positions on coaching staffs at Bowling Green, Syracuse and UCLA. 

"Clark is a wonderful addition to our staff,” coach Brian Kelly said. “Obviously, he brings a substantial amount of knowledge about coach Elko’s defensive system -- having worked with Mike at both Bowling Green and Wake Forest. Clark has demonstrated throughout his career an ability to not only identify unique talent in the recruiting process, but also develop that talent into high-production linebackers. As a former student-athlete, he will relate exceptionally well with our kids and provide tremendous mentorship throughout their careers at Notre Dame.”

In 2016, Lea coached Demon Deacons linebacker Marquel Lee, who was the only FBS player with 100 or more tackles, 20 or more tackles for a loss and 7 1/2 or more sacks last fall. Nationally, Lee ranked 62nd in tackles (105), 10th in tackles for a loss (20) and 53rd in sacks (7 1/2).

Lea also worked with former All-American linebacker Akeem Ayers at UCLA. 

The Nashville native and Vanderbilt alum (he earned both Bachelors and Masters degrees in political science) was also nominated by FootballScoop for its linebackers coach of the year award in 2012 while working with Elko at Bowling Green. 

“I’m humbled to be a part of the Notre Dame football program,” Lea said. “It’s an honor to represent such a prestigious academic institution, and to be a part of this program’s rich tradition of athletic excellence. I’d like to thank Jack Swarbrick and coach Kelly for this tremendous opportunity. I’m excited to get to work building relationships with our players, and do my part in helping coach Kelly execute his vision for the program.”

Chip Long will have 'full responsibility' to call plays as Notre Dame's offensive coordinator

Chip Long will have 'full responsibility' to call plays as Notre Dame's offensive coordinator

Notre Dame on Monday officially announced the hiring of Chip Long as its next offensive coordinator, with coach Brian Kelly clearing any speculation about who will be calling plays in 2017.

"Chip will be given the full responsibility to call plays in 2017,” Kelly said. “His offense at Memphis displayed a unique blend of physicality, athleticism, versatility and explosiveness. Chip’s play-calling created mismatches all over the field and did it in a number of different ways. He likes to use players who can fill numerous roles in an array of formations, whether that be two and three tight ends or multiple running backs.

“Chip has experience coaching at almost every position on the offensive side of the ball. He’s worked for and learned from some of the most respected offensive minds in college football -- Bobby Petrino, Mike Norvell and Jeff Brohm -- to name a few.”

The 33-year-old Long spent the 2016 season as Memphis’ offensive coordinator, and despite the losses of coach Justin Fuente and quarterback Paxton Lynch, the Tigers’ offense remained productive. Memphis ranked 16th in scoring offense (38.8 points per game) and 34th in yards per play (6.25), and by S&P+ had the 37th-best offensive at the FBS level. 

"It’s an honor and privilege to have the opportunity to serve as the offensive coordinator at the University of Notre Dame,” Long said. “The challenge to lead at a university with such high standards is incredibly motivating. I’m very grateful to Brian Kelly and Jack Swarbrick for extending this opportunity.

“It’s Notre Dame: the values, the culture, and the leadership. My wife, Kari, and I are excited to move to South Bend and to join the Notre Dame family.”

How Long adapts to coaching at a higher level than the American Athletic Conference — which, to be fair, is the best Group of Five conference — remains to be seen, though it's likely both he and Notre Dame will run the ball more than they did in 2016. Memphis ran the ball only 47.2 percent of the time on standard downs (first and 10, second and seven or fewer, third/fourth and four or fewer), which ranked 119th out of 128 FBS programs. Notre Dame’s lack of commitment to the run (55.7 percent standard down run rate, 86th) frequently put too much pressure on quarterback DeShone Kizer; with a first-time starter in Brandon Wimbush lined up for 2017, Notre Dame will have to rely on the run far more than it did in 2016. 

There was plenty of speculation Kelly would take over playcalling duties this fall, especially given the departures of associate head coach Mike Denbrock to Cincinnati and offensive coordinator Mike Sanford to Western Kentucky. Denbrock called plays the last two seasons. 

Other brief Notre Dame notes:

-- Sports Illustrated's Pete Thamel reported Monday morning that Notre Dame will hire Wake Forest linebackers coach Clark Lea for the same position under newly-hired defensive coordinator Mike Elko, who worked with Lea in 2016. Prior to becoming Wake Forest's linebackers coach last year, the 35-year-old Lea spent three seasons as Syracuse's linebackers coach. Lea will take over the role filled by Mike Elston from 2015 to 2016, though Elston (who's also Notre Dame's recruiting coordinator) is expected to remain on staff in some capacity. 

-- Former Notre Dame linebacker Bob Crable, who played for the Irish from 1978-1981, was among the 13 former players and coaches elected to the College Football Hall of Fame's class of 2017 on Monday. He's the 46th former Notre Dame player or coach to be elected to the College Football Hall of Fame and first since Thom Gatewood in 2015. Former Irish kick returner/receiver Raghib Ismail and offensive lineman Aaron Taylor were both on the 2017 ballot but were not elected. 

-- While Notre Dame unveiled a new part of its 2017 identidy in Long, it lost the verbal pledge of a blue-chip recruit. According to Irish Illustrated, four-star athlete Paulson Adebo (Mansfield, Texas) backed off his verbal commitment to Notre Dame on Monday, a move which dropped the Irish out of Scout's top 10 class rankings. With the NCAA-mandated recruiting dead period being lifted on Wednesday, Notre Dame's 2017 recruiting class ranks 12th on Scout. Coaches not only will have to work to add to it in the coming weeks, but will have to push to keep what was a strong class together as the aftershocks of last fall's 4-8 season continue.