Watt doesn't expect injury to significantly affect draft prep

Watt doesn't expect injury to significantly affect draft prep
December 16, 2013, 5:45 pm
Share This Post

SOUTH BEND, Ind. — Chris Watt doesn't think his latest injury will have a significantly negative effect on his chances at the next level.

Watt has played his final game at Notre Dame, as an MCL sprain suffered Nov. 30 at Stanford will keep him sidelined for the Pinstripe Bowl. The dependable left guard who started all but one game alongside Zack Martin since 2011 previously tore his PCL and missed Notre Dame's Nov. 2 contest against Navy.

"It's kind of a sucky situation to not being able to play in the last game with a lot of the guys I've been here the last four or five years with," Watt said. "But I love the opportunity I've had playing here, and I'm looking forward to having the opportunity to helping coach some of these younger guys up in the bowl game and throughout bowl practice."

[MORE: Brian Kelly wants experience in next defensive coordinator]

From a personal standpoint, Watt said both collateral ligament injuries he's suffered won't require surgery — instead, he'll rest and do some intense rehab work to get ready as ready as he can be for the NFL Combine in February and Notre Dame's pro day in March.

"I probably won't be able to do some of the intense stuff at the beginning," Watt said. "I'll probably be doing more rehab. It should only keep out couple weeks or so."

Watt has been projected as a fourth- or fifth-round pick in next year's NFL Draft.