OL shuffling underway: LG Rachal gone, OT Brown added

946717.png

OL shuffling underway: LG Rachal gone, OT Brown added

The first change on the Bears embattled offensive line came from an unexpected direction Wednesday when guard Chilo Rachal abruptly left the team for personal reasons and was replaced on the 53-man roster by rookie undrafted free agent James Brown from the practice squad.Rachals exit points to Chris Spencer returning to the starting lineup. Spencer was demoted from the left-guard spot after the loss to Green Bay and has lately been replaced by Jonathan Scott as the extra lineman in the Bears jumbo packages.Rachal suffered through an abysmal game against the San Francisco 49ers,unofficiallyallowing a sack and QB hurry in addition to two holding penalties.Rachal signed a one-year deal last offseason and told CSNChicago.com last week that he hoped to play well enough for an extension here. He stayed after practice every day working on his hand-punch on the heavy blocking bag.Brown was a surprise find after last Aprils draft, having been expected to be selected in a market that is having increasing difficulty finding adequate supplies or and quality in offensive linemen.But the current difficulties at tackle for the Bears do not point to Brown suddenly going from the developmental squad to blocking Jared Allen.Its not like at this point of the season you can take a James Brown, whom Im very high on of course Im always high on all the players because they work so hard and say, OK, youre the guy now, offensive coordinator Mike Tice sad on Wednesday. That would be desperation.

Dax McCarty named to U.S. national team roster for Gold Cup

Dax McCarty named to U.S. national team roster for Gold Cup

After the Chicago Fire's 4-0 win against Orlando on Saturday, midfielder Dax McCarty said his goodbyes to his teammates and got an extra handshake and a good luck message from coach Veljko Paunovic.

That's because McCarty was preparing to leave the Fire to join the U.S. national team for the upcoming Gold Cup, CONCACAF's regional tournament. McCarty was named to the 23-man roster that will take place in the tournament, which runs from July 7-26.

The U.S. will play against Ghana on July 1 in a tune-up. Fire winger David Accam will be a part of that Ghana team and is also away from the Fire. McCarty and Accam will both miss the U.S. Open Cup game in Cincinnati on Wednesday and the MLS game against Vancouver the same day as that friendly.

MLS is taking a break during Gold Cup group play, but will resume as the knockout round begins. If the U.S. gets to the semifinals, McCarty would miss three MLS games (July 1 vs. Vancouver, July 5 at Portland and July 22 vs. New York City FC). He would also miss a potential Open Cup quarterfinal if the Fire beat FC Cincinnati.

McCarty has been called in regularly under coach Bruce Arena, but has only played in friendlies. With the Gold Cup drawing mostly from MLS players, with European-based players getting a break during the club offseason, McCarty could see more playing time.

Fire right back Matt Polster was also included on the preliminary roster, but was not on the final 23-man roster. Former Fire goalkeeper Sean Johnson was also on the team.

Here is the full roster:

GOALKEEPERS (3): Brad Guzan (Atlanta United FC), Bill Hamid (D.C. United), Sean Johnson (New York City FC)

DEFENDERS (8): Matt Besler (Sporting Kansas City), Omar Gonzalez (Pachuca, Mexico), Matt Hedges (FC Dallas), Eric Lichaj (Nottingham Forest, England), Matt Miazga (Chelsea, England), Justin Morrow (Toronto FC), Jorge Villafaña (Santos Laguna, Mexico), Graham Zusi (Sporting Kansas City)

MIDFIELDERS (9): Kellyn Acosta (FC Dallas), Paul Arriola (Club Tijuana, Mexico), Alejandro Bedoya (Philadelphia Union), Joe Corona (Club Tijuana, Mexico), Dax McCarty (FIRE), Cristian Roldan (Seattle Sounders), Kelyn Rowe (New England Revolution), Kenny Saief (Gent, Belgium), Gyasi Zardes (LA Galaxy)

FORWARDS (3): Juan Agudelo (New England Revolution), Dom Dwyer (Sporting Kansas City), Jordan Morris (Seattle Sounders)

Carlos Rodon to make season debut for White Sox this week

Carlos Rodon to make season debut for White Sox this week

Carlos Rodon’s next start will be with the White Sox.

The 24-year-old southpaw will make his season debut this week, though manager Rick Renteria didn’t give a definitive answer on when it’d be. But he’s likely lined up to pitch Wednesday or Thursday against the New York Yankees.

“I haven’t played here all year,” Rodon said. “I’m going to be a little geeked up and ready to go. Plus I get to face the Yankees, a good team, good swinging bats there.”

Rodon, who has been on the DL with bursitis in his left shoulder since the start of the season, has been sorely missed for a White Sox rotation that’s struggled mightily over the last month. White Sox starters have a 5.32 ERA in their last 30 games with only six quality starts.

Renteria said he’s hoping Rodon can bring some stability.

“We’re glad he’s healthy, we’re glad he’s back,” Renteria said. “We’re hoping he could kind of calm the waters a little bit in the rotation a little bit once he gets to his spot. He’s been down a while so hopefully he can settle into his role quickly, be effective and help us our moving forward.”

His numbers in three rehab starts in Triple-A Charlotte weren’t all that great, but in his final one on Friday, he struck out seven batters and threw 91 pitches. Rodon said that he felt comfortable with his pitches and that his slider was back with an increased velocity.

The only thing that’s left to do is go out and pitch.

“A lot of these guys, once they get back up to where they should be I think they feel a little bit more comfortable up here,” Renteria said. “They’re adrenaline is gonna be a little high. Hopefully it works to his advantage.”