Poker tournament to feature 1M buy-in

731016.jpg

Poker tournament to feature 1M buy-in

From Comcast SportsNetLAS VEGAS (AP) -- A never-before-seen 1 million buy-in tournament at the World Series of Poker this year will generate the richest top prize in poker history at more than 12 million -- and potentially more if additional players get in.Series officials planned to announce Thursday that 30 players are committed to participate in the Big One for One Drop starting July 1 in Las Vegas.That number puts the top prize at 12.3 million, which is more than the 12 million Jamie Gold won in 2006 for beating over 8,700 players at no-limit Texas Hold em in the 10,000 buy-in main event.The final table will air live on ESPN, series spokesman Seth Palansky told The Associated Press. The winner will also earn a specially designed platinum bracelet.Eight-time gold bracelet winner Erik Seidel has joined the field, along with the chief executives of a private college lender and a stock trading firm.The field is a mix of high-stakes poker sharks known for their tremendous skills and wealthy businessmen for whom 1 million isn't much to spend. Of the 30 players in the field so far, only 10 are professional poker players.Players such as Johnny Chan, Tom Dwan and Daniel Negreanu are salivating at the chance to match up against lesser players, but billionaires like casino owner Phil Ruffin, and tournament organizer and Cirque du Soleil founder Guy Laliberte say they won't be as nervous with seven figures at stake.The 30 confirmed players have already put up their buy-ins, and series officials expect to reach a cap of 48 entries. With that many players, the top prize would be 18.3 million.The 1 million buy-in tournament includes a roughly 11 percent cut for charity but doesn't include the normal fees charged by the series for holding the tournament.Laliberte organized the tournament with WSOP officials to raise money for One Drop, a non-governmental organization he founded that pushes for access to water in poor countries.

Cubs recall Jeimer Candelario, option Dylan Floro to Triple-A

Cubs recall Jeimer Candelario, option Dylan Floro to Triple-A

With injuries piling up on the infield, the Cubs recalled Jeimer Candelario from Triple-A Iowa on Monday. 

Candelario will be immediately available as the Cubs begin a four-game set with the Washington Nationals, but he isn't slated to start in the opener. The move gives the North Siders needed depth as Addison Russell, who left Sunday's game with shoulder pain, and Ben Zobrist (wrist) remain sidelined. 

This is the 23-year-old's second stint with the big league club, hitting .143 with two RBI last month. In the minors, Candelario is a career .270 hitter with 65 homers and 402 RBI. 

To make room, the Cubs optioned Dylan Floro to Triple-A. Floro has surrendered six earned runs in 6 1/3 innings in the majors. 

Blackhawks ink Anton Forsberg, Tomas Jurco

Blackhawks ink Anton Forsberg, Tomas Jurco

When the Blackhawks traded to get Brandon Saad back, they also acquired Anton Forsberg, who they believe is ready to be their latest backup goaltender. On Monday they signed him to a two-year deal.

The Blackhawks inked two players on Monday, Forsberg, whose contract runs through the 2018-19 season, and Tomas Jurco, who agreed to a one-year contract extension.

Forsberg joins the Blackhawks having very little NHL experience – he’s played 10 career games at this level, going 1-8-0. But the Blackhawks’ previous two backup goaltenders, Antti Raanta and Scott Darling, hadn’t made an NHL appearance before joining the Blackhawks. Forsberg led the Cleveland Monsters, the Columbus Blue Jackets’ AHL-affiliate team, to a Calder Cup title in 2016; during that run he went 9-0 with a 1.34 goals-against average and .949 save percentage.

On Friday, when the Blackhawks acquired Saad and Forsberg from Columbus for Artemi Panarin and Tyler Motte, general manager Stan Bowman said the team is, “optimistic about Anton’s potential.”

“We like his profile as a goalie,” he said. “He’s a big guy, takes up a lot of net, has that mobility and makes good positional saves as well as athletic saves. A year ago, led his team to the [Calder] Cup championships, so he knows what it’s like to put a team on his back. It was the AHL but he’s had a lot of success there. He’s earned the right to be an NHL goalie.”

Jurco, acquired by the Blackhawks from Detroit in February, played 13 games with them down the regular-season stretch. Bowman said shortly after the trade that Jurco would get a chance here.

“We’ll be patient with him but we really think there’s a good fit there, looking at his skills and the style of hockey we play,” he said. “I think a lot of ways, sometimes guys need different opportunities. It doesn’t work out in every place. A fresh start will be great for Tomas.”