Soccer player out after burning self making dinner

708322.jpg

Soccer player out after burning self making dinner

From Comcast SportsNet
VANCOUVER, British Columbia (AP) -- Vancouver Whitecaps striker Darren Mattocks burned his upper right arm and shoulder while making dinner and is being treated at a hospital. The MLS team said in a statement the accident happened Sunday but did not say how the 21-year-old Jamaican forward burned himself. The team added Tuesday that it will have a better sense of his progress later in the week but expects a "complete recovery in due time." Coach Martin Rennie says Mattocks is "handling everything well and remains in good spirits." Mattocks joined the team in January after being taken second overall in the MLS SuperDraft.

White Sox Talk Podcast: Searching for the truth about Luis Robert with Keith Law and Jesse Sanchez

luisrobertwhitesox.jpg
Bill Mitchell

White Sox Talk Podcast: Searching for the truth about Luis Robert with Keith Law and Jesse Sanchez

With the White Sox expected to sign highly coveted Cuban prospect Luis Robert,  there are many questions left unanswered about him: how good or great can he be?  How do we even pronounce his last name?  There have been various opinions to both.

In the latest White Sox Talk Podcast, Chuck Garfien and Ryan McGuffey interview ESPN senior baseball writer Keith Law and MLB.com's Jesse Sanchez whose reporting on Robert have unveiled two different projections about the 19-year-old outfielder.

A high ranking scouting director told Sanchez that Robert "is the best player on the planet." Scouts who have spoken to Law question Robert's hitting and Law passionately defends his sources on the podcast. 

Later, Chuck and Ryan answer questions from Facebook Live about what prospects Sox fans are most excited to see play in a Sox uniform.

Listen to the latest White Sox Talk Podcast right here:

Bears QB Mike Glennon makes his role emphatically clear: ‘This year is my year’

Bears QB Mike Glennon makes his role emphatically clear: ‘This year is my year’

Mike Glennon stuck to an emphatic mantra during his first meeting with the media since the Bears drafted Mitch Trubisky last month: “This year is my year.”

It wasn’t a surprising line — what else was he supposed to say? — but it was telling in the sense that Glennon didn’t appear to be rattled by the presence of Trubisky, the franchise’s presumptive quarterback of the future. Unofficially, Glennon said some version of that line a dozen times in just over 10 minutes. 

“They brought me here to be the quarterback this year and nothing has changed,” Glennon said. “So in my mind, I have to go out and play well, and I know that, and that’s basically the bottom line.”

Will Glennon work with Trubisky, the No. 2 overall pick and presumptive quarterback of the future? Yes. But is that his main focus? No. The job of developing Trubisky falls on offensive coordinator Dowell Loggains and quarterbacks coach Dave Ragone, not the guy who the Bears committed tens of millions of dollars to to play quarterback. 

Glennon said general manager Ryan Pace called him about 10 minutes after Roger Goodell announced Trubisky’s name in Philadelphia April 27 to reassure him that he would still be the Bears’ starting quarterback in 2017. Like most everyone — including Trubisky — Glennon was surprised the Bears made the pick, but the 27-year-old said he quickly re-trained his attention back on preparing for the upcoming season. 

“I’m not worried about the future,” Glennon said. “I’m not worried about the past. I’m worried about the present and right now this is my team and that’s where my focus is.”

Glennon’s three-year, $45 million deal is structured so the Bears could cut him after the 2017 season and absorb only a $2.5 million cap hit, $500,000 more than the team took on when Jay Cutler was released in March. His contract was set up that way before the Bears snuck into Chapel Hill, N.C. for a surreptitious dinner and workout with Trubisky — he’s a bridge quarterback with an opportunity to show he’s greater than that label. 

“Even if I were to (look in hindsight) I would still have came here,” Glennon said. “Like I said, this is my year. There are no guarantees in the NFL. The majority of guys in the NFL are playing year-to-year. I’m here to prove myself that I can me the quarterback this year and going forward. But right now my focus is on winning games this year.”

“… I can only say it so many times, this year has been fully communicated that it's my year,” Glennon said. “I’m not going to worry about the future. As long as I play well, it will all work out.’