The 26th Annual Comcast SportsNet Sports Awards -- to benefit the March of Dimes -- are just around the corner! This year's event will take place on Monday, February 10 at the Hilton Chicago AND will air live on CSN.
This year's Inspirational Athlete is 18-year-old Alyssa Gialamas, who was born with a condition called Arthrogryposis which has left her with no movement in her feet or knees. Despite these physical limitations, Alyssa has achieved great sucess in the sport of swimming.
Here are some of the feats she has accomplished:
• U.S. Paralympic American Record Holder: 50m free, 100m free, 200m free, 400m free, 1500m free, 100m back, 200m back, 50y free, 100y free, 200y free, 500y free and 100y back.
• ParaPanAm, Guadalajara MX 2001: Four Silver Medals
• ISHAA State Class A Champion 2012: 50y free, 100y free, 200y free
• Paralympics, London 2012: 5th place finish in 200m free
• IPC World Championships, Montreal 2013: Bronze Medal in 200m Medley Relay
Gialamas currently swims on both her Waubonsie Valley High School team and the Fox Valley swim team. She is also currently training for the 2016 Paralympics Games in Rio.
The honorees chosen are top athletes from Chicago's professional teams who have made considerable contributions to their teams, as well as the Chicago community. This year's honorees include NAZR MOHAMMED (“Bull of the Year”) -- WELINGTON CASTILLO (“Cub of the Year”) -- NATE JONES (“White Sox of the Year”) -- PATRICK SHARP (“Blackhawk of the Year”) -- MARTELLUS BENNETT (“Bear of the Year”) -- MIKE MAGEE (“Fire of the Year”) -- STAN MIKITA (“Lifetime Achievement Award”).
To purchase tickets to the event, please click here.
Over the past 25 years, the CSN Sports Awards have helped raise more than $10 million for the March of Dimes.