Rios refutes report he turned down Yankees

Rios refutes report he turned down Yankees
July 26, 2013, 11:00 pm
Share This Post

He has done his best to block out the trade rumors this summer, but Alex Rios is angry enough about the latest news to speak up.

The White Sox outfielder refuted a report late Friday night that he invoked his no-trade clause when the Yankees inquired about his availability.

Earlier Friday, a report out of New York detailed that the Yankees only began to pursue Cubs outfielder Alfonso Soriano -- whom they acquired hours earlier -- after they contacted the White Sox about Rios.

Per the tweet, Rios invoked his limited no-trade clause and rebuffed the Yankees' interest. Rios, who is under contract through next season, can veto trades to six teams.

“He should get his facts right because it puts me in a bad spot,” Rios said. “I was never asked about that. I don’t know where he’s getting his insights.”

[More: Amid trade speculation, White Sox sleepwalk to loss against Royals]

Rios has been one of the most talked about members of the White Sox on the trade market leading up to the July 31 nonwaiver deadline. He has been linked to the Yankees, Pittsburgh Pirates and Texas Rangers with a new rumor popping up almost every day.

Earlier this month, White Sox manager Robin Ventura suggested Rios might be slumping in part because of the distraction caused by the rumors. At the time Rios said they weren’t a bother because his future was mostly out of his control.

But on Friday, Rios said he can’t wait until the deadline has passed.

“It has been a lot distractions,” Rios said. “It’s causing a lot of distractions. Hopefully it’s Aug. 1 and it’s over with.”