White Sox to attend Abreu's showcase

White Sox to attend Abreu's showcase
August 17, 2013, 1:00 pm

MINNEAPOLIS -- The White Sox are expected to attend a September showcase that Cuban star Jose Abreu plans to hold.

With a potential opening at first base after this season, the club could pursue the 6-foot-2, 258-pounder when he becomes a free agent.

Abreu has selected an agency and will put on the showcase next month, per a report from Yahoo!’s Jeff Passan on Saturday morning.

The first baseman, who hit .360 with three homers and nine RBIs in 25 at-bats for Cuba in the World Baseball Classic, will be represented agents Barry Praver and Bart Hernandez. Abreu left Cuba earlier this week to establish residency in another country.

[MORE: Quintana pitches Sox past Twins]

Passan speculates the bidding for Abreu could reach $60 million. Last month, the Philadelphia Phillies reportedly agreed to a $50 million contract for Cuban pitcher Miguel Alfredo Gonzalez. The Dodgers signed Yaisel Puig for $42 million in June 2012.

Earlier this week, White Sox executive vice president Kenny Williams said the club has seen three tapes of Abreu but needs more information. He also said the team needs to see if it could make a deal for Abreu work.

“To me, its all big money,” Williams said. “If it’s big money it’s big money. Can we fit it into our equation? We’ve gone out and spent money before at given times. It has to fit into the current equation and our three-year outlook. So I don’t know. But I need to see more video.”

The White Sox could have a vacancy at first base shortly depending upon what veteran Paul Konerko chooses to do. Konerko, 37, is in the final season of a three-year deal and could retire when the season ends next month.

Fellow slugger Adam Dunn is also set to be a free agent after the 2014 season.