After being a reliable hitter in the middle of the lineup for years, White Sox first basemen Paul Konerko left major uncertainty about his future with the squad he’s spent nearly his entire career with after the season finale on Sunday.
“All I can say is no matter who is here next year, it’s gonna get better,” the pending free agent said to the fans. “Just stay with us.”
Konerko started his career with the Los Angeles Dodgers and Cincinnati Reds before finding his way to the Windy City in 1999. Since then, he was voted to six All-Star games and finds himself only 22 home runs behind Frank Thomas for most in club history.
But at 37, Konerko isn’t getting any younger, and after trading away some of their most valuable assets, the White Sox are entering a rebuilding stage. Could the long time White Sox star be looking for a new home in 2014?
“I think he understands he doesn’t have it anymore,” Mark Potash of the Chicago Sun-Times said.
So if this is Konerko’s last season, is he a Hall-of-Famer?
“He’s the hall of really good,” Jordan Bernfield of WGN Radio said. “I don’t think any of his numbers suggest that they’re Hall of Fame numbers.”
See more of what the panel had to say in the video.