ORLANDO -- If Paul Konerko wants to play for the White Sox in 2014 he would have that option.
Thus far, however, Konerko hasn’t indicated whether or not he wants to return to the club next season, general manager Rick Hahn said at the GM meetings on Tuesday.
Hahn and White Sox manager Robin Ventura visited with Konerko last week at the first baseman’s Scottsdale, Ariz. home and informed him of his options. Even though the White Sox would appear to have a logjam on the roster with Adam Dunn and recently signed Jose Abreu the club has told Konerko he can return next season in a still-to-be-determined role.
“We had a real good open and honest conversation about where his mind is at and his hopes for going forward, and a good talk about the club and our hopes for moving forward,” Hahn said. “At this time, he’s still going through his process of deliberating about what he wants to do next year.”
Hahn doesn’t know when Konerko might make his decision, noting there’s “no magic date.” The White Sox also haven’t determined what type of role Konerko would play were he to return or how they would split time among him, Dunn and Abreu. Konerko said in September he would only consider a reserve role with the White Sox.
“All along we’ve wanted Paulie to get to the point where he was confident that he wanted to play next year and if it were with us, he was comfortable with what that role potentially would be,” Hahn said. “He’s not quite to that point yet where he’s ready to make the call about his own future. After he does, then we’ll have another conversation.”