Top prospect Johnson, other callups in line for starts

Top prospect Johnson, other callups in line for starts
September 2, 2013, 1:45 pm
Share This Post

NEW YORK -- Two of the six September promotions by the White Sox could figure in the rotation plans for at least a turn.

As soon as Tuesday the White Sox are expected to announce four more players have been promoted, including top pitching prospect Erik Johnson.

Johnson is 12-3 with a 1.96 ERA in 24 starts in the minors and figures to receive one of two to-be-determined starting assignments announced by White Sox manager Robin Ventura on Monday.

[More: 'Extreme' pain leads Flowers to shoulder surgery]

Jake Petricka, a teammate at Triple-A Charlotte of Johnson and a second-round pick in 2011, offered a scouting report.

“He throws all of his pitches for strikes. He goes right after every hitter,” Petricka said. “He throws everything in the zone. He just demands your respect when he’s on the mound. He’s dominant.”

The other callups include: infielder Marcus Semien, catcher Miguel Gonzalez and reliever Daniel Webb. Pitcher Charlie Leesman and catcher Bryan Anderson were previously promoted on Sunday.

Ventura has pushed back Hector Santiago and John Danks for one day to Thursday and Friday with no pitcher announced on Wednesday. The team hasn’t announced when Andre Rienzo, who started in Boston on Sunday, would pitch next as Saturday’s start hasn’t been assigned and Jose Quintana goes on Sunday.

Last month, Ventura said he planned to give his younger pitchers an extra day of rest when he could.

On Monday, Ventura said Leesman, who pitched 4 1/3 innings on Sunday, could get a turn shortly.

[More: Leesman ready for anything]

Earlier this week, Santiago eclipsed his professional season-high innings limit. Danks is less than 13 months removed from shoulder surgery and Rienzo has pitched 36 1/3 more innings than he had in any previous season.