The White Sox will have to watch Jose Abreu’s ankle closely the rest of the season. But general manager Rick Hahn said Thursday he remains upbeat about the slugger’s chances of returning from the disabled list when he’s eligible to come off it June 2.
Abreu, who still leads the majors with 15 home runs, rejoined the White Sox on Thursday after they returned home from a nine-game road trip to receive treatment on his sore left ankle.
“He remains in the boot and will stay in the boot through the weekend,” Hahn said. “We’ll re-evaluate next week. So far he’s progressing and we continue to be optimistic about him being ready about the time the 15 days are up.
“Is it something we will have to monitor for the rest of the season? Sure. But with any guy we are going to have to be cognizant with any issue they have.”
Abreu has a .260/.312/.595 slash line and leads the American League with 42 RBIs and 103 total bases. He has posted those numbers despite dealing with a sore ankle since spring training.
Hahn said Abreu has never experienced ankle issues in his playing career prior to this season and said it’s unfair to project it as a potential chronic issue.
The White Sox felt like they had a good handle on Abreu’s ankle problems earlier this month. But suddenly it became apparent to manager Robin Ventura that Abreu could do further damage to himself if he kept playing. Ventura pulled Abreu from Saturday’s game and he was placed on the DL the following day.
“He took a swing in a Houston game that just looked odd, it was different than any other one,” Ventura said. “He said it was the same kind of soreness but his swings became different to where you thought he might hurt something else and that's when, really for me, I went to Herm and started to talking to him about it.
“We didn't want him going out there putting him in jeopardy that he was going to do something else. That became the reason at that point, just to figure it out and get him healthy.”