From Comcast SportsNetNEW YORK (AP) -- It's Marty Mornhinweg's turn to fix the New York Jets' offense.The Jets hired Mornhinweg as their offensive coordinator after he served in the same position the past seven years under Andy Reid with the Philadelphia Eagles.Mornhinweg, who replaced the fired Tony Sparano, was an assistant for 10 years with the Eagles and becomes the Jets' third offensive coordinator in as many seasons.Sparano was fired after one season as New York finished 30th in overall offense. He replaced Brian Schottenheimer before last season, but couldn't jumpstart the running game, get starting quarterback Mark Sanchez to take the next step in his development or figure out a way to use Tim Tebow consistently or effectively.Mornhinweg is expected to bring a more wide-open passing approach to the Jets, who have relied more often on a run-first "Ground-and-Pound" philosophy under Rex Ryan.It is uncertain if Sanchez, owed 8.25 million in guarantees, or Tebow, expected to be traded or released, will remain with the team.Figuring out the Jets' unsettled quarterback situation will be a major task for Mornhinweg, Ryan and newly hired general manager John Idzik.Sanchez, the team's first-round pick in 2009, would cost the Jets a 17.1 million salary cap hit if they cut him. So, it would seem unlikely New York would do that -- although they could try to trade him.Tebow saw limited action after being expected to be a major part of the offense when he was acquired from Denver last March. The popular backup acknowledged at the end of the season that he was "disappointed" at his lack of use, and has yet to comment definitively on what he expects his future to hold.With Mornhinweg's connection to the Eagles, there could be some thoughts that Michael Vick could follow him to the Jets if Philadelphia cuts him. But, newly hired Eagles coach Chip Kelly might want to keep Vick to run the read-option offense.The 50-year-old Mornhinweg was previously the head coach of the Detroit Lions, and was also an assistant with San Francisco and Green Bay.
White Sox manager Rick Renteria said Zach Putnam theoretically is available to pitch in Sunday’s series finale against the Cleveland Indians, but he’s unlikely to use him after the right-hander left Saturday’s game with right elbow tenderness.
Putnam was initially listed as being day-to-day, and nothing changed on that overnight.
“He’s available but would I use him? Probably not,” Renteria said.
Melky Cabrera, who jammed his wrist chasing down a foul ball Saturday night, was back in the White Sox lineup at designated hitter on Sunday.
Left-hander Carlos Rodon was spotted saying hi to teammates in the White Sox clubhouse before Sunday’s game, and is being evaluated as the team figures out what the next step in his recovery process from bursitis in his left biceps.
Right-hander Jake Petricka was around the clubhouse on Sunday, too, as he works his way back from a strained right lat.
“He’s been getting worked on inside there,” Renteria said. “We still have to see where he’s at. I don’t know what he’s going to do on the field yet. That’s to be assessed.”
CSNChicago.com Bears Insider John "Moon" Mullin goes position-by-position as the Bears approach the 2017 Draft, taking a look at what the Bears have, what they might need and what draft day could have in store. Sixth in a series.
Bears pre-draft situation
Jay Cutler lasted through two years under the John Fox coaching staff while his 2014 contract still contained some guaranteed money. The new regime under GM Ryan Pace was given the option by Chairman George McCaskey of cutting ties earlier regardless of financial commitment but Adam Gase and Dowell Loggains as coordinators made a go of it before Cutler's injuries (shoulder and thumb last season) and mediocre play regardless of supporting cast made the organization's decision for it.
Resolving a now-decades-old problem position has been goal No. 1 of Pace, with all indications that the process will be ongoing, vs. the Cutler's-fine approach of the past eight years. Step one was signing Tampa Bay Buccaneers backup Mike Glennon to a three-year deal but with $16 million of the $18.5 million guaranteed coming in 2017. The situation establishes Glennon as the starter, with a chance to put a hold on the job beyond this season with a breakout year.
"It's a leap of faith to some degree," Fox acknowledged during the NFL owners meetings. "But I think you do that in a lot of different positions and evaluations of personnel and people. The big thing with him is that he has been in NFL football games. He has been in a lot of systems and around different players and personalities and, I think, handled it well."
The decision was made to move on from Brian Hoyer and Matt Barkley as backups, signing Mark Sanchez, 30, to a one-year pact worth $1 million guaranteed plus a per-game bonus that allows the deal to top out at $2 million. Connor Shaw showed promise before going down for the year with a broken leg suffered in preseason.
Pre-draft depth chart
Starter: Mike Glennon
Reserves: Mark Sanchez, Connor Shaw
Bears draft priority: High
The Glennon and Sanchez signings were modest financial and time commitments by NFL standards. Their depth chart has no "elite" in place and does not need another mid-range quarterback; they had that for eight years in Cutler and know what limitations a limited quarterback brings to a franchise.
Using Drew Brees and the New Orleans Saints experience as the template, Pace has been clear that he is seeking a quarterback with the intangibles to do more than post statistics, going further to lift the collective team mojo, something too often painfully lacking during the Cutler tenure.
[VIVID SEATS: Get your Bears tickets right here!]
All of which makes the quarterback draft options a level more interesting than the basic talent/traits assessments and evaluations that have circulated. The Bears have done extensive research on the quarterback prospects, and few envision scenarios where the Bears do not strike for one within the first several rounds.
The overarching No. 1 question: Will the Bears disregard draft slot (No. 3) and land a quarterback perhaps not graded that highly but with the intangibles the organization craves?
Question No. 2: Could quarterbacks go a surprising 1-2 with the Cleveland Browns tapping Mitchell Trubisky and San Francisco 49ers snatching Deshaun Watson?
As far as this year's class, "I'm not banging the table for any of them," said NFL Network analyst Mike Mayock, who tapped Clemson's Deshaun Watson as the No. 1 prospect in the 2017 draft class.
Keep an eye on:
DeShone Kizer, Notre Dame — The Bears sent a task force to South Bend for Kizer's Pro Day, in addition to a Combine interview and private meeting. Athletic but INT rate (2.7 percent), accuracy (60.7 completion percentage) and W-L record (14-11) nothing special.
Patrick Mahomes, Texas Tech — Has been likened to both Cutler and Brett Favre for big-play predispositions, mobility and arm abilities. May have widest hit-miss potential, with major upside but also weaknesses in decision-making that concern some. "I just think his fundamentals break down too many times," Mayock said.
Nathan Peterman, Pittsburgh — Bears coaches worked with him at Senior Bowl. Not as highly touted as others in the class but among most pro-ready and rates as possible nugget in mid-rounds — if left on the board that long.
Mitchell Trubisky, North Carolina — Bears were scouting him intently early last college season and invested a Combine interview and private workout in additional time with what some rate as the best-available at his position in a class short on "elite" talents. But opinions vary widely, with Trubisky being mentioned for Cleveland at No. 1 or for No. 12, for example.
Deshaun Watson, Clemson — Unquestioned intangibles leader with curious "negatives:" accuracy (67.4 career completion percentage) and turnovers (2.7 INT percentage). Two full years as starter, two appearances in national championship game.