Word on the Street: Jenks joins Red Sox

Word on the Street: Jenks joins Red Sox

Thursday, Dec. 16, 2010
CSNChicago.com
Bobby Jenks trades in White for Red Sox

Another member of the 2005 World Series Champion White Sox team has departed as closer Bobby Jenks signed a two-year, 12 million deal with the Boston Red Sox. Jenks will form a strong late-inning relief corps with Daniel Bard and Jonathan Papelbon.

In 2010, Jenks pitched in 55 games and converted 27 of 31 save opportunities. However, he finished with a 4.44 ERA - the worst of his career - and opposing hitters posted a .260 batting average against him, also the worst mark during his six-year tenure on the South Side. (boston.com)

Yankees express interest in Freddy Garcia

The Yankees search for starting pitching continues, but the options are running out. Therefore, it has been reported that the Yankees have asked for the medical records on Freddy Garcia.

Garcia, 34, enjoyed his first entirely healthy season in three years in 2010 with the White Sox. The big righty started 28 games, going 12-6 with a 4.64 ERA. (riveraveblues.com)

Favre won't play Monday, career over?

Vikings quarterback Brett Favre won't play Monday, but the real news is that his career might be over. Sure, it's Brett Favre and any career speculation is risky but the 41-year-old QB sounds resigned to the fact that his days under center may have come to an end with his latest injury.

"There is still some numbness and discomfort," Favre said. "There's no way I would even consider (playing) with those symptoms still. I think I would be foolish to even think that way."

He said he's not concerned about stepping on the field in one of the Vikings' three remaining games for final hurrah. (usatoday.com)
"Well this season has been that," Favre said."You know, it's probably a lot more important to people that it not end on a hit, injury against Buffalo (the hit in Week 13 that knocked him out). And that very well could be the last play. ... I don't look at it that way. I think of 20 great years. good and bad."

Teammates see Mike Glennon taking command of Bears offense

Teammates see Mike Glennon taking command of Bears offense

The Bears are expected to add a quarterback this week, possibly as soon as the third overall pick. But the starting quarterback the team already has in place is beginning to take control of the Bears' offense. 

With the Bears' nine-week offseason program getting underway last week, Mike Glennon has had his first opportunity to work with coaches and teammates here at Halas Hall, largely in conditioning drills. And the early evaluations of the 27-year-old have been positive. 

"(What) I've seen from Mike is just him taking command," receiver Josh Bellamy, this year's veteran recipient of the Piccolo Award, said. "He's taking command and he's willing to take all responsibility of what's going on, and that's what you want in a leader. And I'm willing to follow. And I know everybody else in the locker room is too."

Jordan Howard, the Bears' rookie recipient of the 2016 Piccolo Award, echoed Bellamy's praise of Glennon.

"He's a hard worker," Howard said. "He's been trying to motivate guys to push through things."

Having three different starting quarterbacks (Jay Cutler, Brian Hoyer and Matt Barkley) last year was part of why the Bears sunk to a 3-13 record. Even if the Bears pick their quarterback of the future in two days, having consistent leadership from Glennon could be a positive for this group in 2017. 

"There's not a whole lot of teams that go through that (having three starting QBs) that have success," coach John Fox said last month. "That's over a 16-game regular season schedule. In Mike's case, he's been steady, he's been consistent, he just hasn't had a lot of opportunity. But everybody that I've known that's been around him both in college football and pro football people that I respect and know pretty well feel really good about him moving forward."

And that leadership would come from a guy who last started in 2014 and only attempted 11 passes in the last two seasons. But the Bears lauded Glennon's leadership abilities in signing him last month, and so far, the front office has been proven right in their assessment. 

"He's first out," Bellamy said. "He wants everybody on time, he's demanding everything, what a quarterback should do, he's showing leadership with the whole team. And he interacts with the players, with his guys. He'll call us, hey, you guys want to go to the game or just stuff, just building camaraderie and building a brotherhood. And that's all it's about."

Report: Jay Cutler's agent says QB has no plans to retire

Report: Jay Cutler's agent says QB has no plans to retire

Jay Cutler has no plans to retire, according to a report from ESPN's Adam Schefter.

Quoting Cutler's agent, Bus Cook, the former Bears quarterback "wants to play football. He has never mentioned retirement to me. Jay Cutler, as far as I know, is ready to play and wants to play, and his skill set is as good as any quarterback in the league."

The Bears parted ways with Cutler this offseason after eight seasons. They were reportedly shopping him as part of a trade but nothing surfaced, leading them to cut the 33-year-old.

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport said in March that the Jets had interest in Cutler, and the quarterback has been linked to the Texans as well.

Quarterbacks needs around the league will gain more clarity following next week's draft, but Cutler may have to wait until a potential training camp injury to find a spot in the league in 2017.