Frustrated Giants manager Bruce Bochy walks out on reporters

Frustrated Giants manager Bruce Bochy walks out on reporters
August 20, 2014, 11:00 am
Share This Post
Scott Krinch

It was a night to remember at Wrigley Field.

In the opener of a three-game series on Tuesday night, the Cubs and San Francisco Giants went about their business for 4 1/2 innings until everything went amiss.

Some light rain touched down on the Wrigleyville area in the top of the fifth inning with the Cubs leading 2-0. Giants catcher Buster Posey popped out for the final out of the top half of the inning at 8:42 p.m., making it an official game.

[MORE: Cubs vs. Giants - What happened at Wrigley Field?]

Umpire crew chief Hunter Wendelstedt received an update from the Cubs' grounds crew director, saying the rain would last for another five or 10 minutes, and that there would be a delay.

It ended up pouring rain for around 15 minutes, while the grounds crew struggled to get the tarp completely around the diamond. Roughly four hours later, umpires deemed the field unplayable and called the game at 1:16 a.m on Wednesday morning. The decision resulted in a Cubs' 2-0 five-inning victory over the Giants.

At the end of the day, the victory won't change anything for the Cubs, who are currently in last place in the NL Central. But Tuesday's result could play a huge factor for the Giants during the stretch run as they try to fend off both the St. Louis Cardinals and Atlanta Braves for a Wild Card spot in the National League.

[WATCH: Baker, Rizzo sing Eddie Vedder song in Cubs dugout]

And Giants manager Bruce Bochy let out his frustration during a postgame press conference.

“I’m frustrated. I’m beside myself,” Bochy said. “It’s probably not the right frame of mind for me because it’s my last recourse. I hope they listen and watch what happened there. In this day and age, it cannot happen. It shouldn’t happen. So I’ll leave it at that.”

“You know what? I’m done,” Bochy said, cutting his interview with reporters short.

The Giants are expected to file a protest to the league office on Wednesday.